Blue birchen marans rooster; which to keep ?

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I've just started with blue birchen marans; purchased a splash rooster and crossed him with my black copper hens. Understanding I'm not into showing or even understand SOP here, just want to enjoy these beauties and raise a few more without keeping poor stock. I crossed to bcm for a darker egg color. I ended up with 2 roosters; one is very good sized but has russet feathering coming on the wing. The smaller of the two is coming in with all silver; however he's quite a bit smaller. Which would you choose?
IMG_7013.JPG
IMG_7018.JPG
IMG_7007.JPG

I've just started with blue birchen marans; purchased a splash rooster and crossed him with my black copper hens. Understanding I'm not into showing or even understand SOP here, just want to enjoy these beauties and raise a few more without keeping poor stock. I crossed to bcm for a darker egg color. I ended up with 2 roosters; one is very good sized but has russet feathering coming on the wing. The smaller of the two is coming in with all silver; however he's quite a bit smaller. Which would you choose?View attachment 2682747 View attachment 2682748View attachment 2682751
The 3rd picture.

Both cockerels look like they have some red. Any birchen marans with both red and silver is a mixed color. However, they’re still purebred marans.

Last edited:
I know you are not going to breed for showing but want nice chicks. I would take the male with the best temperament, your favorite. Good luck and have fun...

Yes ... Purebred but cross colors. The smaller one has russet coming in since the picture. Hens, though, will be birchen and that's what I'm aiming for.
If you breed one of those roosters to your hens you’ll also get hens that are black copper/blue copper/splash copper. Though they will probably be lighter than a true bred copper.

If you breed one of those roosters to your hens you’ll also get hens that are black copper/blue copper/splash copper. Though they will probably be lighter than a true bred copper.
I have a couple of blues that I've selected to breed them to to pursue the blue birchen. The egg color I have is more of a terra cotta and I'm hoping to increase both egg size and color with this cross. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom