Blue birchen marans x black copper?

shaw613

Songster
Oct 27, 2019
Northeast Colorado
I've recently purchased a splash marans cockerel from a line of blue birchens. In addition to a couple of pullets (blue and splash), I have some black copper hens. I'm curious about the birchen to copper .... what does splash birchen on copper birds produce ...... blue copper or birchen?

Last edited:
Blue Birchen(or in this case Splash Birchen) is ER/ER, Bl/Bl, S/S when crossed to BCM hens that are ER/ER, bl+/bl+, s+/- the progeny will be ER/ER, Bl/bl+, S/s+(for males) and ER, Bl/bl+, S/- for females, this means that 100% of the hens will be Blue Birchen and males will be "Golden" Blue Birchen, they will grow to be like Blue Birchen but when getting older their shoulders and back will turn more rich golden color instead of silver

Blue Birchen(or in this case Splash Birchen) is ER/ER, Bl/Bl, S/S when crossed to BCM hens that are ER/ER, bl+/bl+, s+/- the progeny will be ER/ER, Bl/bl+, S/s+(for males) and ER, Bl/bl+, S/- for females, this means that 100% of the hens will be Blue Birchen and males will be "Golden" Blue Birchen, they will grow to be like Blue Birchen but when getting older their shoulders and back will turn more rich golden color instead of silver
Thanks!

This coloring puzzle is sure interesting! Thank you.

Hello, I’m a late comer to this conversation but I’m wondering what color variations I will produce if I breed my blue birchen Maran rooster with a blue copper hen? I can post pics if needed.

Hello, I’m a late comer to this conversation but I’m wondering what color variations I will produce if I breed my blue birchen Maran rooster with a blue copper hen? I can post pics if needed.

They will be about the same as what @nicalandia predicted for the other poster:
...hens will be Blue Birchen and males will be "Golden" Blue Birchen, they will grow to be like Blue Birchen but when getting older their shoulders and back will turn more rich golden color instead of silver
The difference is that about half of your chicks will have blue, with the others having black (1/4 of chicks) and splash (1/4 of chicks.)

The black/blue/splash affect the parts of the chicken that would otherwise be black, but do not affect the areas that would be other colors (gold/red/white/etc.)

The other poster's cross would produce just blue chicks, no black or splash.

Back
Top Bottom