Blue & Black BLRW hatching eggs - no splash if possible

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by WA4-Hpoultrymom, Jan 23, 2011.

1. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    I have a small flock of BLRW, but they are all splash. I would love to get some eggs from someone who has a pen with only blue & black BLRW's in it so that I have a better chance of hatching out non-splash birds. Or if you can direct me to anybody you may know who has this type of set up, that would be great. Would also take chicks if you are local to me, I'm in Monroe, WA. Please let me know what you have in your pen, and whose lines your birds are from and your prices. I would be interested in getting eggs/chicks later in Feb.

Thank you!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    Quote:With the blue gene there is no way anyone can keep Splash out.

3. WA4-Hpoultrymom

WA4-Hpoultrymom Never enough coops...

Feb 5, 2009
    Monroe, WA
    My Coop
    If you breed blue to black, you will only have blue and black babies. I understand that blue to blue will give you a chance for splash. I'm just trying to minimize the chance for splash. Say someone had a black BLRW roo over blue BLRW hens, the offspring should only be blue and black.

4. deineria

deineria Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I've read the Blue or Black over Splash will yield 50% splash quite a few times.
    I'm also looking for Quality BLRW . . .so anyone with eggs, please email me, also
    [email protected]

5. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    Andalusion blue gene:
    black x black= 100% black
    black x blue= 50% blue, 50% black
    black x splash= 100% blue
    blue x blue= 50% blue, 25% black, 25% splash
    blue x splash= 50% blue, 50% splash
    splash x splash= 100% splash

Anything more than going to splash for 2 generations will result in a white and red looking bird, take it back to blue to put the correct coloring back in. These are based off hatching 100 eggs, so if you do small batches the law of averages won't pan out until you hatch enough to catch up to it.
    That being said, I have a splash roo over a blue hen. I'm currently growing out to build up my stock but could do a small order for you that would give you some splash. For blue x blue mating, try Sonew123 or LovinMyPeeps, I believe they have blue to blue matings. Also, where are you located, a state under your avatar is very helpful when you are buying or selling.

6. Livinzoo

Livinzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Statham, GA
    I have a all blue pen. But unfortunately they aren't back to laying since theioukt and the funky winter weather. This year I plan to set up a pen of black hens with a splash roo. Should yield 100% blues. I just haven't set them up yet. They are in a mixed flock right now.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Thanks J-I do, but my girls are all on strike and Im 3 orders behind--broody's!!! Otherwise Id love to help- [​IMG] good news is all were off nests today--!!!! [​IMG]
    Try Lovins though

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by