Blue button eggs

Paganbird

CrescentWood Farm
11 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Western Pa
My button quail have started laying!
I was excited to see that one of them lays a beautiful light indigo-blue egg. I have no idea which one is laying it, though. Of my 9 buttons, 5 are hens... maybe 6. I can't tell on the one silver and one white. I know that my other white is a hen - I saw her lay an egg. The 6 in the other cage are only guesses. I have 3 with reddish vent feathers and I get 3 eggs, so I'm guessing I have 3 pairs.
I ended up with a blueface male... he has the most beautiful sheen.
I'm glad I got the buttons. They're fun to watch & I like the ambient noises they make. (Thanks Shelley!)
My blue eggs:

29266_bluebuttoneggs.jpg

Hi I want to buy eggs of you now...I'm close to you so shipping should be cheap. Tell me a price and we will talk. My zip code is Throop PA 18512 thanks.

Thank you, all!
The pic does the blue eggs no justice. They are the most beautiful shade.
I was so surprised to see that color.

The buttons eggs come in all different colors, I have one girl that lays a light greenish blue egg that never has any spots on it. Supposedly, that's a sign of them having been laid too early, but her eggs look like that everyday.

Congrats on the eggs! Gosh, it doesn't seem like it's been that long! How are your 'ducks'?
gig.gif

Quote:
HUGE! LOL!
Unfortunately, the hens haven't taken well to them and pull out their wing feathers. The pair are currently in a separate cage in the henhouse. They are too bold, but then they don't defend themselves - they just let the hens harass them.
They are the biggest of the pullets from that hatch. I had to get them out of the "nursery" because they were picking on the other girls and eating all the food. So now they are together in a show pen. They are almost too big to put the two of them in one cage, but I couldn't bear to separate them. They call for one another.
*For those who are unaware... Shelley sent me 2 duck eggs as extras. They hatched in 21 days. Not ducks - Mammoth RIR pullets*
lol.png

They were both pullets? That worked out good, didn't it?
gig.gif
I've been told that RIR need higher protein, since their egg-size compared to their body size is HUGE!!! All of dad's birds were feather pickers, but since they molted in the fall, most of them look normal again
gig.gif

Yes, luckily, they are both pullets. I was worried that I'd end up with a roo - I hear that RIR roos are mean. These two are agitators... they pick on the little ones and peck at me if I reach for them. They better shape up if they want to stay with the laying hens!
The buttons are my favorites. I was pretty lucky with them,too. I got 4 color-matched pairs and a single silver hen.

Even if there had been roos, they probably would not have been mean. The roo we have is not the type to be all lovey-dovey with us, but he's never shown any signs of aggression
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom