Blue Copper Maran Roo x

Doudna2163

In the Brooder
Dec 28, 2023
So my roo is a blue copper maran and my hens are Rhode Island Red, Columbian wyandotte, calico princess, black sex link, light brahma, buff brahma, and barred rock. I also have a hen that's the same as the roo. My question is how many have these crosses and if so do you have any pictures or updates on these offspring? How many eggs they're laying? Also what secondary roo would you add? Right now I have 12 hens and 1 roo but I want to add 4 more 2 speckled sussex and 2 Orpingtons. I know with a maran roo I would definitely need a backup roo to keep fertility rates up right?

I know with a maran roo I would definitely need a backup roo to keep fertility rates up right?
I would not add a rooster to the flock. It is a recipe for bad fighting between the new comer and the resident flock rooster.
Raise and keep one of the cockerels, his sons, and choose the best one and keep him with his father and rehome or eat the rest.
Hopefully father and son will work together relatively peacefully for a while. Oftentimes, the son will one day want to take the flock from his father and they will fight. As long as there is plenty of space (think free range or over 100 sq feet per bird in a space with plenty of structure), the hens will typically choose their own flock rooster and the flock will split themselves accordingly.

I would not add a rooster to the flock. It is a recipe for bad fighting between the new comer and the resident flock rooster.
Raise and keep one of the cockerels, his sons, and choose the best one and keep him with his father and rehome or eat the rest.
Hopefully father and son will work together relatively peacefully for a while. Oftentimes, the son will one day want to take the flock from his father and they will fight. As long as there is plenty of space (think free range or over 100 sq feet per bird in a space with plenty of structure), the hens will typically choose their own flock rooster and the flock will split themselves accordingly.
Oh okay I was just reading you want a rooster for every 8-12 birds depending on the fertility rate of the breed.

To introduce a new roo. That way he is raised as part of the flock as Dobielover said, but without the risks of adding in an adult rooster.

To introduce a new roo. That way he is raised as part of the flock as Dobielover said, but without the risks of adding in an adult rooster.
Yeah I was either gonna do that or the dog cage method. If I end up needing another roo.

Back
Top Bottom