0308220036 (1).jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 0308220626.jpg
    0308220626.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 0215222007.jpg
    0215222007.jpg
    480.3 KB · Views: 2
Speaking of French, both the mystery girls have feathers, albeit not many, on the outer shanks of their legs. I forgot to mention that earlier.

Ah.

Australorps don't have those.

That's how I know that the batch I hatched last Sunday had 4 eggs contributed by an overachieving Cochin, who managed to lay at least 4 eggs in the 5 days I was collecting eggs despite being in a heavy molt.

They appear to be Blue/Blue Copper Marans of hatchery quality. I thought I could see feathered shanks on the chicks, so I'm glad you confirmed. Hatcheries are not known for breeding quality birds, especially in something popular that can make them a lot of money. There are many examples of that with fad breeds. They should be happy, healthy hens, that lay a meh brown egg.

Late to the thread, but Ideal has “blue cuckoo marans.” They look like that and I thiiink sometimes have some leg feathers?
I just bought 2 “blue copper marans” as well from my local feed store. Same color as the pictures and both have some feathers on the outer part of the legs as well. They all looked fine when we first arrived home but after a while one of them was extreme lethargic and bearly opening it’s eyes, then all of a sudden passed away. She didn’t even make it through her first night. So I guess I’ll never know if both, or just the remaining one is a real “blue copper marans.”

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom