Blue cream silkie rooster

Rachel5589

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
I am just getting into breeding silkies and recently purchased a group of white silkies. In that group there happened to be one blue cream rooster. What do I need to breed him with to get nice looking chicks? Only a blue cream hen? Or what would happen if I bred him with a solid buff hen or solid lavender hen? Thanks for any help on this. I was just going to sell him and keep only the whites but my daughter loves him so I'd like to try to find him a nice girlfriend.

This may help a little in understanding his genetic make-up.

https://martysfancyfeatherleg.weebly.com/blue-cream.html

Honestly, it would be best to breed him to Blue Cream/Porcelain females. Crossing him to Lavender or Buff females won't result in correctly colored offspring which is arguable as they are not a recognized variety by the APA and colors are variable, especially with the uneducated assuming that Blue Cream implies they birds carry the Andalusian blue gene, when in reality they are Lavender, or 'Self-Blue'. I've done a lot of Googling and searching and can't find much information. @nicalandia has an amazing grasp of genetics and @Amer attends shows and has a lot of knowledge on poultry genetics so perhaps they can better answer the question.

I do know that breeding him to White will probably not work as the Silkies are probably another color under the white and who knows what you'll get.

What do I need to breed him with to get nice looking chicks? Only a blue cream hen?
Yes, I would say so, if you want chicks of a traditional color. But, if you don’t care about that, just breed him whatever you want or whoever you have available.
Or what would happen if I bred him with a solid buff hen
Black tailed buff.
or solid lavender hen?
Lavender with straw leakage.

Back
Top Bottom