Blue Eared Pheasant help

VERN-O

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
I'm still new to this so, so bare with me. I'm considering raising BEPs and am looking for anyone who has experience with raising them and where I might be able to get some chicks in the Northeast (I'm in the upstate NY area).....thanks in advance

There are lots of breeders up your way. They are digging machines too by the way.
They will handle your winters well too.
Obviously, both sexes are identical in all eared colors.
I would suggest you subscribe to the Gamebird Breeders Gazette.
It's loaded with articles on these types of birds, and has 12-14 pages of classified ads every issue.
There is also the A.P.W.S., American Pheasant and Waterfowl Society magazine, same deal with it. These two are where most all breeders advertise their birds.
There is also the Georgia Gamebird Breeders Association, there are members in it from all over the country.
They vary in price breeder to breeder, seen them recently from $70- $150 for yearlings, $90-$100 is about average, they are the cheapest of the eared pheasants, then white, the brown.

Lots of cover and perches in the aviary are recommended as they males at time can be aggressive to their hens, usually best kept only in pairs too from my experiences.

Got any specific questions on them?

WOW perfect......I've done some online research on raising them, caring, disease, and housing. You've been a huge help. I'll look into the suggested reading materilas. Then I'll work on tracking down the actual birds. I wanted to have a place to gather info from people who raise them and not neccessarily raise them to sell them. Again thanks for the info.

yep, only problem with that forum is, 90 +% of them on there are just a bunch of jerks, who like to tell you, you dont know enough to keep this and that.
I use to be on there but got tired of all the fighting over stupid stuff , and with Dan doing nothing to moderate them, they act like a bunch of over grown kids...

It's unfortunate, because there are some informative folks on there, just not many who act like adults

i could not agree any more with you Aubrey, i was on their and their were a few to try and help but most were to busy telling me i did not know enough to keep them like you said and i also got i was wrong and discredited and did not know what i was doing for posting my opinions on their
and like i have said on here before and had to argue on here before that with pheasants their is not all black and white their is alot of grey, and that their is not set way to keep them they wont except that and accuse me of not wanting to be help but it is hard to want to be help when all your told is that your wrong

it may have informitive people on it but most are not good mentors and refuse to listen to anyones opinion and none i could ever feel good about respecting and looking up to,
just some ol grumpy men

for the most part this truly is the best bird forum BYC

Last edited:
Yep,
It's sad to say, but thats 100% of what I have seen too. Seen children, 12-16 ask simple easy to answer quations to be treated like that, or to be told, look it up, its in the "archives" we've talked about this 100 times already. Isnt it just easier to answer them, LOL

Oh well, I'll stop now so the thread doesnt turn the wrong way and get blocked for talking about other forums,
wink.png

If you click on pheasant and peafowl in the top left corner,you can read up on each species by name.This way you wouldn't have to deal with asking questions.I guess they just don't like people asking them questions.I thought that was what the site was there for.
In N.H.,Tony.

Back
Top Bottom