Blue eggs

Gary Kenyon

Chirping
Aug 21, 2019
Eastern Tennessee
Hello, I have been getting 1-2 blue eggs a day, but from what I have read, all of my chickens are supposed to lay large, brown eggs. Any thoughts on where these blue ones might be coming from? My hens are all Australorps, Golden Sexlinks, and a couple of Saphire Gems.

Attachments

• 20190821_155418.jpg
    20190821_155418.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 19
I will snap a couple of pics when I feed this evening. Maybe one of them will look guilty!
I think it's 2 of them, if you sometimes get 2 blue eggs a day. I read your other thread, I don't think it is the meat chickens. My money is on the sapphire gems. Those, and also your sexlinks are crossbreeds that are generally bred for high egg production. So I guess they aren't a true breed... if you were to breed two of the sapphire gems together the offspring would not be the same as the parents if that makes any sense.

The one you call Saphire gem is a mixed breed so named by a hatchery they are barred mixed so sex-links or them are your blue layers

I think it's 2 of them, if you sometimes get 2 blue eggs a day. I read your other thread, I don't think it is the meat chickens. My money is on the sapphire gems. Those, and also your sexlinks are crossbreeds that are generally bred for high egg production. So I guess they aren't a true breed... if you were to breed two of the sapphire gems together the offspring would not be the same as the parents if that makes any sense.
Yeah, I did read that due to the way they are bred there is no way of knowing which traits will or will not get passed down. I guess it'll be an adventure with each batch I hatch! ☺️

I am kind of leaning towards the saphire gems as well, mainly because there are two of them. Someone else mentioned that they are a type of hybrid also, so maybe there is a recessive gene or something.

Back
Top Bottom