Blue eggs!

Portia, thank you for the flashlight! I learn new things every day here!

bow.gif

Sure thing. One other item to note on those wishing to hatch out araucanas; the tufted gene is embryonically lethal if they receive the tufted gene from both parents. That means, that the eggs may develop to term and may even pip &/or hatch out but die shortly thereafter b/c with two tufted genes they are not viable. A single tufted gene may show as 1 or 2 tufts. I had 2 make it to pip before dying, one actually hatched and another developed but never even pipped. That's why Jody makes sure only one parent has tufts; that's not to say that the non-tufted parent won't carry & pass along the gene, but its less likely. Still, they are really cool chickens and worth the risk. My 2 adults are from the breeding program, they didn't have the qualities for her program so I bought them as chicks from her. Bonefu, my little blue guy/girl (so hard to tell when they are rumpless) is one my broody (Sepia) hatched out. Had 2 other viables, but one disappeared while free ranging (a risk we take with a free range flock) and a little white tufted drown after one of our big rainstorms
hugs.gif

Such is life here on the chicken ranch
D.gif

I think I might have pictures of the other peeps...

yes, here

the little white one that drown
IMGP8474.jpg

Another one with a single tuft (by they way, they can be single, double or not have any tufts at all!)
IMGP8475.jpg

Here's a better picture of that last little one's single tuft
IMGP8476.jpg

And little Bonefu who is tuftless but also rumpless
IMGP8478.jpg

Last edited:
Your blue eggs are beautiful
smile.png
Bonefu, that's a cool name for a pretty cool chicken.
I'm so anxious to get a blue egg layer.
My mixed chicken hasn't started laying yet, but it could be green or blue. I think it will be green though.

Back
Top Bottom