Blue Fawn Calls

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by janastasio, Dec 2, 2009.

1. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Hello, I will be receiving my 2 adult blue fawn call ducks tomorrow. I purchased them to breed and for my daughter to show. Since purchasing them, I noticed in my daughters poultry book that the blue fawn is not one of the colors listed in the standard of perfection. Does this mean she can't show them because they are not an accepted color? It seems like there are alot of colors out there for calls and that people show them all, so I guess I'm a little confused. Thanks!
    -Jaime

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Yes, you can show them but the best they can place would be BOV [Best of Variety]. They would not be considered for any higher placing. I like the Blue Fawns. i think they're one of the prettiest of the Call Duck varieties.

3. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    May I ask where you got your call ducks?

Ive been looking for some to add to our gang....

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I have some blue fawn there one of my favorite colors and the good thing about them is you will get 25% grays, 25% pastel, and 50% Blue fawn! Cierrae Endsley in olive hill has a few extra pullets availible unless shes sold the resently www.showcasestable.com
    She took BV and RV at the 2009 call nationals!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  5. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I bought them from Holderreads. I was going to get Sebastopols in the springs, but decided to wait a year and add calls in this year. About the same cost and I dont need to modify my current set up! I got them in at 6:30 am this morning. They arrived alive and healthy. I will post some pics. I was planning on posting some pics to have some people who have call critique them and tell what they think. They are not as rounded as I would have liked and their bills are a little longer than I would have liked, but these are my first calls, so they may look the way they are supposed to.

6. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Here are some pics if all goes well! Sorry some are blurry, my camera has been weird lately.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. CityChicker

CityChicker Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Your new babies are gorgeous! I was so tempted to buy some of those when they had some for only $50 a pair. Now, I am kicking myself!!! I have already bought twenty new ducks from them this year though. Pretty soon I will be living outside with the ducks if I don't tread carefully with the DH, LOL...

I think they are beautiful. I'm sure you will get some lovely babies out of them next year. If those are some of the $50 ones, you totally got your money's worth and then some. [​IMG]

8. janastasio

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Thankyou! They were the last blue fawn pair for $50! I dont know alot about calls, only what I have read. When I was looking at the photos I took, their beaks looked a bit shorter than I thought. They are not overly cheruby looking in the cheeks, but they also just just came without food or water for 2 days! I have also noticed not all of the color calls are as round in the face as the white ones. Regardless, I think they were a good deal too!

9. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Well, the whites have been pretty extensively bred like few other varieties have been...look at all of the top exhibitors and you'll see whites right up there in their resumes.

10. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I want calls ... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by