Blue Hamburg Rooster, any experience with them?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by danamillette, Nov 25, 2008.

1. danamillette

danamillette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    One has been offered to me. I dont have any roosters right now. What is the temperment like? Are they nice birdies?

2. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I have never had a hamburg roo but I had Sliver Spangled hens and they were a little skittish and flew really well. They roosted in the trees at night.

3. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    I have two SS Hamburg hens, as well. And they are my most flighty chickens. I had a beautiful golden penciled Hamburg roo, but I sold him off. He was a nice guy. Not as flighty as the hens. They are a relatively small breed. With rose comb.

4. briesberrypatch

briesberrypatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2008
    Yellow Springs, OH
    I have a silver spangled hamburg hen. She's extremely skittish. I had a really, really hard time breaking her of the habit of roosting in trees.

She's beautiful, but I'm not sure I'd want more hamburgs.

5. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I have a silver spangled hamburg rooster and he is really pretty and has a very mellow temperment, but can hold his own with the other roosters!!!
    he does sleep in the trees in the summer, but is sleeping in the chicken house for the winter right next to my salmon favorelle rooster and silver laced wyandottes!!!!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by