BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
I'm talking to myself here, but that's okay. I'm excited enough to have a whole conversation with myself!

Presenting...

Our very first homebred Blue Isbars! These little ones just hatched this morning, and are doing great. I'm so happy!

Congradulations, DFdesigns. Looks like you have 2 blues? Hard to tell with that brood light. Are there more to come? How about more pics as they grow? I got my 4 as adults, would love to see what they look like as they grow. Plan to set a clutch as soon as I have an available broody.

I'm pretty sure they are both blue... I haven't messed with them much as they were so brand new. I do have more hatching next week, so we'll see what that brings!
smile.png

I have a replacement roo shipping out to me tomorrow, all the way from the great state of Texas. He'll be stowing some fertile eggs along in his container, so my little breeding operation should be back on track soon.

To add in some more happy news, I got my first ever Isbar egg today!

It's such a pretty shade of green in person; very different from any of my EEs or OEs. So exciting!

OK, off topic, but WHAT laid that gorgeous Vermillion colored egg????????? It doesn't look like anything I've seen before :D

Looks like a Marans egg. I've seen eggs of that shade from Black Copper Marans and Cuckoo Marans. A lot of other Marans varieties lay dark but they have trouble getting THAT dark.

Last edited:
Yep, that was a Marans. A few of my girls lay that super neat reddish brown shade, and it is so pretty... it always make a great contrast with some of the other colors. It looks darker in person; I think the flash lightened it.

Woohoo! Picked up my Isbars today! Two blue pullets and a blue and a black roo from my friend Treva :) I managed to slide off her driveway in the rain and get stuck
roll.png
but while I waited for the tow truck to come unstick me I spent a lot of time handling my new birds. They are around 11 weeks or so we think (she does staggered hatching). The larger of the 2 roos was almost making a purring sound when I would pet the back of his head. It was so cute <3

For a long time I've admired isbars. Would anyone near Maine or New Hampshire be willing to sell me some Isbar eggs? I would be looking to purchase in early Spring.
Or, i could have them shipped if thats an option. How likely is it that shipping long distance would kill the embryos?

For a long time I've admired isbars. Would anyone near Maine or New Hampshire be willing to sell me some Isbar eggs? I would be looking to purchase in early Spring.
Or, i could have them shipped if thats an option. How likely is it that shipping long distance would kill the embryos?
I live in the Bangor, Maine area. I have 2 blue Isbar hens (blue) and 2 roos (a blue and a splash). I also have 4 chicks (2 blacks, a blue and a splash) that hatched under a broody about 10 days ago. I should have eggs next spring. Also, if there are any pullets in the hatch, they should be laying by March or April of 2014. I really like the look of blue plumage; the BBS genetics are interesting, too. I've heard that shipping eggs leads to unpredictable results. PM me if you are interested.

Back
Top Bottom