BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
It's very unreliable, because Isbars were not fully "completed" as an auto sexing breed, but they sometimes can still exhibit those signs, supposedly. Far left chick has a pale patch of down on its head. (But some females can too, so it's a guess)

My big dream would be to work with the breed on a large scale and finish the true auto sexing component. But that is a big dream
tongue.png

Enjoy your babies!
smile.png

As it turns out LadyCluck, at 4.5 weeks old now it is very clear that the dark blue is a cockerel, other three are pullets. And the splashes are SPLASHY bigtime! So although you were mistaken on the individual that is male, you were right on with the 3 pullets. I'm VERY happy!
celebrate.gif

I saw that....went to ebay and looked it up based on your comment....why would a rooster have red/gold on the shoulder?
Her response to my query was that the birds were from a friend in Austin that bought her parent stock directly from Greenfire. She said if they weren't pure that would have to be taken up with Greenfire directly and respectfully disagreed with me. She also declined to put my question and her answer on the listing for all to see.

I've heard all kinds of rumors about GFF and I don't know them personally so I can't say if they do the things people say they do to recoup the huge cost of importing these rare breeds.

I was just asking as a newbie to Isbars if that was acceptable. With nonstandard breeds it's hard to know.

Last edited:
I've never had an Isbar with gold/red on them. I'd say their stock has gotten mixed and now has some autosomal red or some other gene leaking through. Maybe from the person she got her stock from so she really doesn't know they are not pure.

Both of those birds are blue. The only splash I have is the young whitish hen. His shoulders are more of a creamy yellow. Let me see if I have a better picture of him... no but I do have a picture of my last rooster, Rain, also a blue, who laid down his life saving his hens from a neighborhood dog. He saved three of the four.

Egg color is so hard to capture right. These are my best attempts. The egg in my hand and the ones in the background of that photo are the truest to real color. My eggs vary from a light green to a darker almost olive green.

Both of my black cockerels just shipped off this morning to my friend @ChicKat in Texas.

Back
Top Bottom