BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
My sister is in Portland for the weekend. We lost our cockerel a couple of weeks ago and I am wondering if anyone in the area has an extra Isbar cockerel. Our pullets are about 12 weeks old. If so please PM me. Thanks!

I just bought two pairs of splash isbars the guy recommended that I get a black to add with them any ideas as to why (by the way I think they are blue splashes and they are laying.

I just bought two pairs of splash isbars the guy recommended that I get a black to add with them any ideas as to why (by the way I think they are blue splashes and they are laying.
Congrats on your new birds!
clap.gif
Breeding splash to black will give you all blue chicks.
wink.png

ETA - Oh, and I almost forgot! I have fertile Isbar eggs in my incubator!!!
celebrate.gif
I hatched 5 pullets from 2 different breeders last year and only recently was able to obtain a cockerel for them.

Last edited:
Splash to splash will only get you more splash. My understanding if you keep doing that is the quality of the splashes will "wash out." Black X Splash = 100% blue.

Just doing test hatches on our Isbars now. We got our first black chicks last week along with a couple blues. This week there are splashes so far.

We are just getting our first single comb Olive Egger eggs, splash Isbar over Marans pullets. We'll be test hatching those a bit later. I got so frustrated with the Ameraucanas and how long it took to tell sex that I'm going with single combs.

Last edited:
Just doing test hatches on our Isbars now.  We got our first black chicks last week along with a couple blues.  This week there are splashes so far.

We are just getting our first single comb Olive Egger eggs, splash Isbar over Marans pullets.  We'll be test hatching those a bit later.  I got so frustrated with the Ameraucanas and how long it took to tell sex that I'm going with single combs.

Yes, my single comb boys make themselves known pretty early.
Are they cuckoo Marans? If they are, any solid color rooster over a barred or cuckoo hen will yield a sexlink, the male chicks will all have a white head spot. I made three sexlinks for the Easter hatch a long and they all turned out to be boys :confused:

Yes, my single comb boys make themselves known pretty early.
Are they cuckoo Marans? If they are, any solid color rooster over a barred or cuckoo hen will yield a sexlink, the male chicks will all have a white head spot. I made three sexlinks for the Easter hatch a long and they all turned out to be boys
hu.gif
I have black copper and blue copper Marans, a recessive white Marans pullet, and a splash copper pullet in with a splash Isbar cockerel. I don't know what the recessive white will produce with the splash, but she came from BCM stock. There will be a lot of blue and splash SC OE for sure.

Feathers!

Silverudd developed Isbars with some Cream Legbar influence as I understand it. I know that there are some trying to introduce sexlinkage into Isbars by creating Ice Cream Bars (Cream Legbar x Isbar). Part of the thinking would be to re-intorduce barring to Isbars. Have heard that there was once a barred Isbar, but now we have only Blue Isbars.

But here is my question. Has anyone seen a feather like this on one of their Isbars? I picked this up today from a pen that contains only 2 blue Isbar hens and one Splash Isbar hen. (seems like my chickens are all thinking this is a good time to molt.) I'm not sure who it is from -- For some reason I think maybe the Splash? I think maybe the part of the feathers that looks barred is nearer the body and was covered by other feathers. Anyone got barring on thier Isbars?

Back
Top Bottom