BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
Are Isbars VERY slow to grow? I have one blue and two splash chicks who I got at the same time I got some cream legbars. The cream lebars are 2-3 times as big as the Isbars are. They're all about 7 weeks old.

Are Isbars VERY slow to grow?  I have one blue and two splash chicks who I got at the same time I got some cream legbars.  The cream lebars are 2-3 times as big as the Isbars are.  They're all about 7 weeks old. 
i hatched a splash and a blue at the same time as Marans, and cream legbar. Theyare all pretty close to the same size

These started off the same size but the Isbars just don't seem to be growing very much. Maybe something is wrong with them. I'll have to take a photo and post because the difference in size is so striking. The cream lebars fly the coop and explore during the day. The Isbars can't fly up out of the brooder coop so they stay put even when the door is open.

These started off the same size but the Isbars just don't seem to be growing very much. Maybe something is wrong with them. I'll have to take a photo and post because the difference in size is so striking. The cream lebars fly the coop and explore during the day. The Isbars can't fly up out of the brooder coop so they stay put even when the door is open.

I have the old line and they are super tiny, I wonder if the new line is bigger. Two of my pullets are larger than the third, but all are probably 5 lbs or under full grown. They are teeny. As far as size as chicks, mine were raised with Bielefelders so they looked like bantams next to those giant tubs! So I don't have a great comparison!

I have the old line and they are super tiny, I wonder if the new line is bigger. Two of my pullets are larger than the third, but all are probably 5 lbs or under full grown. They are teeny. As far as size as chicks, mine were raised with Bielefelders so they looked like bantams next to those giant tubs! So I don't have a great comparison!
I just saw a photo of a "blue" Isbar from GFF's "new" line. It looks like a cross between a blue copper Marans and an Isbar. Dual-purpose body type, dark charcoal legs. The owner says she also has some that have pea combs. These crosses are going to cause a lot of trouble in the future IMO. I'll stick to my BBS green-legged medium LF layer-typed birds that lay only minty or light sagey green eggs.

I just saw a photo of a "blue" Isbar from GFF's "new" line. It looks like a cross between a blue copper Marans and an Isbar. Dual-purpose body type, dark charcoal legs. The owner says she also has some that have pea combs. These crosses are going to cause a lot of trouble in the future IMO. I'll stick to my BBS green-legged medium LF layer-typed birds that lay only minty or light sagey green eggs.

I am torn, I have noticed how fragile the old line is due to the limited genetics. I had one die of coccidosis LOOOOONNNGGGGG after she should have built up a resistance. I have another that has recurring eye issues and I have to keep eye drops handy. Right now some new blood is looking very attractive!

There's one Bielefelder chick in there too and he's the same size as the Cream Legbars. It's just the Isbars who are tiny, so maybe these are just meant to be small. They do look like bantams vs the other chicks. I got them from a breeder who is known for her beautiful birds and they've all been healthy except for a chick I lost early on. Vet thought it had an infection in its abdomen from an egg sac that didn't absorb the way it should have. New to these breeds so didn't know what to expect with any of them.

There is a lot of learning as we go with new breeds. My Isbar chicks seem to vary in size even being the same age, under the same hen. The breed has problems to work out, and there can be losses, either in the shell/hatching or as they grow out. I'm taking one day at a time, but every day they are well, I take great pleasure they are thriving, and hope any that haven't made it or don't make it will make the breed stronger in the long run.

I can see potential in my chicks for having a friendly temperament. Six are being raised under a broody that has made nearly every chick she has raised, act crazy around me. These chicks don't seem upset with my presence. They aren't hanging around me, but they don't flap and squawk if I walk by. We will see as they mature out.

There's one Bielefelder chick in there too and he's the same size as the Cream Legbars. It's just the Isbars who are tiny, so maybe these are just meant to be small. They do look like bantams vs the other chicks. I got them from a breeder who is known for her beautiful birds and they've all been healthy except for a chick I lost early on. Vet thought it had an infection in its abdomen from an egg sac that didn't absorb the way it should have. New to these breeds so didn't know what to expect with any of them.
hi Kittybethaustin -
My first batch of Isbars are from Samantha Kellerman in the Hill coutry (BTW I'm about 4-hours drive from Austin in East TX) - They are a year old now - and they weigh about 3 pounds. Each of them lays an egg daily. In the next pen over I have 19-week old Cream Legbar pullets that are larger, and weigh about the same as the Isbars. I think that the CLs will outweigh the Isbars in a couple of weeks.

One reason I was attracted to Isbars was the dark eyes that are very prominent in a small head.

They look frail but they are kind of tough -- I hope as people outcross to strengthen the genes they don't loose the good traits. Mine have slate legs except for a black one that has black legs....

In answer to your question, I think that they are a bit smaller, and they are slower to come into lay. But who knows maybe they will make up for that on the back end and stay laying longer.

Last edited:
hi Kittybethaustin -
My first batch of Isbars are from Samantha Kellerman in the Hill coutry (BTW I'm about 4-hours drive from Austin in East TX) - They are a year old now - and they weigh about 3 pounds. Each of them lays an egg daily. In the next pen over I have 19-week old Cream Legbar pullets that are larger, and weigh about the same as the Isbars. I think that the CLs will outweigh the Isbars in a couple of weeks.

One reason I was attracted to Isbars was the dark eyes that are very prominent in a small head.

They look frail but they are kind of tough -- I hope as people outcross to strengthen the genes they don't loose the good traits. Mine have slate legs except for a black one that has black legs....

In answer to your question, I think that they are a bit smaller, and they are slower to come into lay. But who knows maybe they will make up for that on the back end and stay laying longer.

funny, i have the same draw to the dark eyes! and mine are smaller than marans, about the same size as cream legbars, a little larger than my campines. lovely delicate birds that yes, are tough.

Back
Top Bottom