BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
Our Isbar chicks "look like bantams" next to our monster Marans chicks, but I think they ought to! Isbars are not a heavy or dual-purpose breed, and in general the type for a strictly egg producing breed is much lighter than the heavies/DP. My Isbars lay like champs (daily) and are not frail in my experience. They have been handling the extreme heat (for NW Oregon, I call 108 extreme) and staying fertile. Our pullets start laying right around 16 weeks. LOVE these birds!

This is good to know! The Isbars were an impulse buy when I went to get cream legbars and bielefelders. I'm trying out various breeds to find one I want to get serious with. These could be the ones. Very pretty birds. They seem healthy and vigorous so far. If they're also great layers, then jackpot!

Very happy the Isbars start laying around 16 wks. I read the other day (don't remember where) they don't lay for 7-8 months. Thank goodness that info was wrong. No wonder people get confused.

My chicks are 6wks and are so healthy and robust and growing like weeds. I've been looking for a long time for "my breed" and these may be it. I'm really glad to see them starting to catch on a bit.

Very happy the Isbars start laying around 16 wks. I read the other day (don't remember where) they don't lay for 7-8 months. Thank goodness that info was wrong. No wonder people get confused.

My chicks are 6wks and are so healthy and robust and growing like weeds. I've been looking for a long time for "my breed" and these may be it. I'm really glad to see them starting to catch on a bit.
LOL - It was me because mine didn't start laying until 7-8 months -- And that is what a number of others have told me. May depend upon the strain one has. So it wasn't exaclty wrong info gootziecat...LOL -- Don't disappoint owners if they have to wait a bit longer than 16-weeks..that is pretty early for any breed IMO.....

That said the colors are beautiful and the eggs are daily. -- Have heard a lot of folks say that the weather doesn't phase their Isbars heat or cold - Strangely I don't think this location hit 108 - but I have had many summer days passing 100 and it didn't phase my Isbars. Have also heard that they will continue laying through the winter un-phased.

POL is so variable due to genetics, nutrition, daylight hours, time of year they were hatched, weather...my first Marans were 8-9 months, but our homebred Marans start anywhere from 16-23 weeks. I was going nuts waiting for my Isbars but that first gorgeous green egg was worth it!
So right...and moving to a new home is in that equation too....

If anyone has Isbars in the upper Midwest, I am looking for a started pair, trio, or larger. Shipping short distance is preferred, but am able to do pick-up depending on where it is. Thank you!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom