BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
I love how well my girls lay and their lovely eggs. I had 5 pullets that I receive directly for GFF last year. One had the wrong comb and laid a white egg. Then I had 4 pullets and one was pecking the feathers out of my other birds. Now I have three pullets one is a lovely blue. One is black but there is a bit of brown in some of her feathers so not as black as she should be. The third is not blue or splash but sort of a mottled plumage. Some have red ears and some have a bit of white on their ears. The mottled ones legs don't match the others though she has the best personality out of all of them. I would like to get a cockerel so that I could add a few more to my dwindling pack of Isbars. Do you know if there is a group working on getting them accepted by the APA? If so what are they going for in the basics? Leg color, ear color, eye color etcetera?

I love how well my girls lay and their lovely eggs. I had 5 pullets that I receive directly for GFF last year. One had the wrong comb and laid a white egg. Then I had 4 pullets and one was pecking the feathers out of my other birds. Now I have three pullets one is a lovely blue. One is black but there is a bit of brown in some of her feathers so not as black as she should be. The third is not blue or splash but sort of a mottled plumage. Some have red ears and some have a bit of white on their ears. The mottled ones legs don't match the others though she has the best personality out of all of them. I would like to get a cockerel so that I could add a few more to my dwindling pack of Isbars. Do you know if there is a group working on getting them accepted by the APA? If so what are they going for in the basics? Leg color, ear color, eye color etcetera?
Generally what it takes to get accepted by the APA is a breed association or 'club' -- Alpenzeller Spitzhaubens are working to get APA acceptance, Cream Legbars have a Club - etc. -- Marans were recently accepted and I think maybe Ameraucanas have people who still remember the process to get accepted active in their club.

Bad pic but my splash is in there.

Generally what it takes to get accepted by the APA is a breed association or 'club' -- Alpenzeller Spitzhaubens are working to get APA acceptance, Cream Legbars have a Club - etc. -- Marans were recently accepted and I think maybe Ameraucanas have people who still remember the process to get accepted active in their club.

Yes I realize what it takes to get accepted by the APA. What I was asking is if anybody know if there is a club or group for Isbars and if so what are they breeding for?

Yes I realize what it takes to get accepted by the APA. What I was asking is if anybody know if there is a club or group for Isbars and if so what are they breeding for?
Not that I know of, but you could start one? I'm trying to do some work with Hedemora and after seeing they didn't have a Facebook group, made one. I don't know how to drum up members, but it's a start I suppose ;)

Not that I know of, but you could start one? I'm trying to do some work with Hedemora and after seeing they didn't have a Facebook group, made one. I don't know how to drum up members, but it's a start I suppose ;)

I only have three girls and only one of them is breeding quality and no roosters. Also I am new to breeding. I don't think that I am the right person to start this group.

I only have three girls and only one of them is breeding quality and no roosters. Also I am new to breeding. I don't think that I am the right person to start this group.
Interestingly the APA requires 5 breeders who are APA members, that have had the breed for 5 years - and for 5-years they have bred 50% true.... it would take at least 5 individuals who had longevity of commitment to the breed, and were in the APA. The reason that they say breed true 50% is because of the genetics of BBS - only 50% of the offspring of a blue pair will be blue.

It would take real dedication to the breed. It would be very interesting though to see what people are looking FOR if they were to breed or purchase an Isbar -- or more accurately maybe, the definition that they have of an Isbar.

1. Single Comb - I think everyone agrees -- description of how that would look is one thing APA would require.
2. My preference is the dark almost black-looking eyes so the new line from various sources wouldn't fit my description
3. Red earlobes - but I know goozie cat prefers white ones-- chime in here for those who have views -- it could shape the future - maybe
4. prolific green eggs - wonder if the APA would consider them a light breed?
5. plumage Blue, black or splash
6 - leg color this is a tough one IMO -- - slate, black - black on the black chickens slate on the blue ones? I have a splash who has an ivory colored beak and she has silver legs - they look like rock star boots from the '60's -- I call her ziggy stardust. she is really pretty -- molting now.
7. Size -- APA likes this stated in pounds - the range can't be too big. My Isbars are very very small like 3 pounds. They are easy on the feed bill and produce a LOT of eggs. Except now - molting and broody -- They deserve a break.
8. Eggs to be green -- but various shades of green - and speckles are acceptable (even encouraged I would think) -- but the eggs shouldn't be brown at all IMO.

What are other people looking for/at

Interestingly the APA requires 5 breeders who are APA members, that have had the breed for 5 years - and for 5-years they have bred 50% true.... it would take at least 5 individuals who had longevity of commitment to the breed, and were in the APA. The reason that they say breed true 50% is because of the genetics of BBS - only 50% of the offspring of a blue pair will be blue.

It would take real dedication to the breed. It would be very interesting though to see what people are looking FOR if they were to breed or purchase an Isbar -- or more accurately maybe, the definition that they have of an Isbar.

1. Single Comb - I think everyone agrees -- description of how that would look is one thing APA would require.
2. My preference is the dark almost black-looking eyes so the new line from various sources wouldn't fit my description
3. Red earlobes - but I know goozie cat prefers white ones-- chime in here for those who have views -- it could shape the future - maybe
4. prolific green eggs - wonder if the APA would consider them a light breed?
5. plumage Blue, black or splash
6 - leg color this is a tough one IMO -- - slate, black - black on the black chickens slate on the blue ones? I have a splash who has an ivory colored beak and she has silver legs - they look like rock star boots from the '60's -- I call her ziggy stardust. she is really pretty -- molting now.
7. Size -- APA likes this stated in pounds - the range can't be too big. My Isbars are very very small like 3 pounds. They are easy on the feed bill and produce a LOT of eggs. Except now - molting and broody -- They deserve a break.
8. Eggs to be green -- but various shades of green - and speckles are acceptable (even encouraged I would think) -- but the eggs shouldn't be brown at all IMO.

What are other people looking for/at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/618634864915903/

We all have our opinions. For us, we are looking at a medium sized, lighter build bird (layer type as opposed to dual-purpose build) with moderate tail angle, balance, production type. Preference here is for dark eye, willow color on shanks (no yellow or white legs). Production is paramount, as is egg color (no tannish or brownish eggs, though sage green is acceptable in our flock but not "olive"). Feed efficiency and forage ability are also important here. We don't like a "gamey" look of too-slender/insubstantial type with squirrel tails and low wingset.

I've never seen an Isbar cock/erel with simple blue or black. They all have some type of birchen plumage, either gold or silver hackle/saddle going on. There are three Swedish breeders on the Isbar facebook group. Two of them I believe say there are "subvarieties" of ruddy, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/618634864915903/

We all have our opinions. For us, we are looking at a medium sized, lighter build bird (layer type as opposed to dual-purpose build) with moderate tail angle, balance, production type. Preference here is for dark eye, willow color on shanks (no yellow or white legs). Production is paramount, as is egg color (no tannish or brownish eggs, though sage green is acceptable in our flock but not "olive"). Feed efficiency and forage ability are also important here. We don't like a "gamey" look of too-slender/insubstantial type with squirrel tails and low wingset.

I've never seen an Isbar cock/erel with simple blue or black. They all have some type of birchen plumage, either gold or silver hackle/saddle going on. There are three Swedish breeders on the Isbar facebook group. Two of them I believe say there are "subvarieties" of ruddy, etc.
Thanks so much for the viewpoint. Agreed that there are color variations on the males... interesting that you would choose willow legs over slate. -- since I don't do facebook - hard to relate there.

I didn't add -- that some have black beaks - most of my blues, and my black one had black. they also seem to have 'horn' or very dark with some yellow edging. My splash has ivory with a bit of a black 'beauty mark' on it.

Such beautiful chickens.

Back
Top Bottom