BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
This is an isbar I hatched and I'm wondering...blue or black? Pretty sure it's a pullet.
:/

I am going to go with dark blue. She is going to be gorgeous! Be sure to post pictures as she grows.

KYT maybe you can help me with this...

So, I have a blue isbar hen and my remaining blue rooster has a floppy comb. Both from GFF. Can they be mated? i am not exaclty happy with the comb but I don't see an SOP on how to breed these guys. If I should not breed the flop comb can I breed her to a black isbar? Right now she's living in the Hona house...SO, she has two hona roosters looking out for her. LOL.

Also, I have two black isbars from GFF and two black from KYT's crew. I have seven black roosters from GFF and out of those roosters some are gold and some are silver in color. Is there a preferred color? What should I look for in mating this group?

Thanks~

KYT maybe you can help me with this...

So, I have a blue isbar hen and my remaining blue rooster has a floppy comb. Both from GFF. Can they be mated? i am not exaclty happy with the comb but I don't see an SOP on how to breed these guys. If I should not breed the flop comb can I breed her to a black isbar?  Right now she's living in the Hona house...SO, she has two hona roosters looking out for her. LOL.  

Also, I have two black isbars from GFF and two black from KYT's crew. I have seven black roosters from GFF and out of those roosters some are gold and some are silver in color. Is there a preferred color? What should I look for in mating this group?

Thanks~

Yes, you can use a black rooster with a blue hen. The resulting chicks will be about 50% black and 50% blue, no splash.

Although there is no SOP for the Isbar, when deciding which rooster to use for breeding, the general principles should be applied. A single comb should be erect and free of defects such as side sprigs and thumbprints. Other characteristics to avoid are split wing, curled toes, light colored legs or eyes (for Isbars) and probably quite a few other characteristics that I'm not thinking of right at the moment. Look up the SOP for a similar breed to see what is/is not acceptable.

With that said, no bird is perfect, especially in breeds like the Isbar that have such a small gene pool. You have to look at the whole bird in each of your possible candidates and decide which one overall has the least faults. Do some research as some faults are much harder to breed out than others.

Both silver and gold, even in the same bird, are common and acceptable in the Isbar. When we finally file a proposed SOP for the Isbar in the U.S., we will probably have to choose one or the other, but that has not been determined yet.

If you have a good rooster from my stock, that would be preferable to one from the same source as your hen. Inbreeding problems plague this breed, so the more diverse your breeders, the heartier your chicks are likely to be.

Edited to correct my Auto-Miscorrect. :/

Last edited:
Yes, you can use a black rooster with a blue hen. The resulting chicks will be about 50% black and 50% blue, no splash.

Although there is no SOP for the Isbar, when deciding which rooster to use for breeding, the general principles should be applied. A single comb should be erect and free of defects such as side sprigs and thumbprints. Other characteristics to avoid are split wing, curled toes, light colored legs or eyes (for Isbars) and probably quite a few other characteristics that I'm not thinking of right at the moment. Look up the SOP for a similar breed to see what is/is not acceptable.

With that said, no bird is perfect, especially in breeds like the Isbar that have such a small gene pool. You have to look at the whole bird in each of your possible candidates and decide which one overall has the least faults. Do some research as some faults are much harder to breed out than others.

Both silver and gold, even in the same bird, are common and acceptable in the Isbar. When we finally file a proposed SOP for the Isbar in the U.S., we will probably have to choose one or the other, but that has not been determined yet.

If you have a good rooster from my stock, that would be preferable to one from the same source as your hen. Inbreeding problems plague this breed, so the more diverse your breeders, the heartier your chicks are likely to be.

Edited to correct my Auto-Miscorrect.
hmm.png
Thanks, I have two cute little black hens from you. I have 3 shipments of isbars from GFF. Who is another trusted importer of isbars?

Some other undesirable characteristics that seem to be somewhat common in the 2nd import birds are leg feathering; very small or pea-like combs; very small or lack of wattles; red and/or copper coloring in hackles, wings and/or saddle. Any breeding program should aim to eliminate these characteristics.

While some of these characteristics may appear in 1st import birds, they are not nearly as common.

I am 99% sure this is a dumb question but here goes anyway: KYT you said a black roo over a blue hen will yield approx 50/50 blacks and blues w no splash. Does the same go if you reverse the color/sex and have a blue roo over a black hen?

I am 99% sure this is a dumb question but here goes anyway: KYT you said a black roo over a blue hen will yield approx 50/50 blacks and blues w no splash. Does the same go if you reverse the color/sex and have a blue roo over a black hen?

No question that educates is a dumb question.
1f60a.png
Yes, the percentages would remain the same. BBS is not a sex-linked color.

Thanks, I have two cute little black hens from you. I have 3 shipments of isbars from GFF. Who is another trusted importer of isbars?
If you can set up 2 pens - one with hens from me and a roo from GFF, and the other with GFF hens and a roo from me - you would be better set up for breeding future generations.

As of right now, GFF is the only importer of Isbars to this country that I know of. I will let you know if that changes.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom