BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
Just to give you something to look forward to even if the chick is a cockerel... this is the dark blue boy that I hatched from my 1st import group. (not my picture as he lives with someone else now)
He is gorgeous. I like your camera too! Thats a beautiful photo. My chick came from my medium blue isbar roo i had to get rid off as he was too noisy :oops:

I'm glad to see some of you are breeding the first imports. I think the Isbar breed is going to be lost if they are bred to the second import "standard".

I'm glad to see some of you are breeding the first imports. I think the Isbar breed is going to be lost if they are bred to the second import "standard".
What are the differences between the two. When I got mine, I was told they are a cross of the two and the first line was weak with immunity issues? I want to get more Isbars and it would be helpful to know more about this subject.

What are the differences between the two. When I got mine, I was told they are a cross of the two and the first line was weak with immunity issues? I want to get more Isbars and it would be helpful to know more about this subject.
The 1st line is just much more uniform. The second line has many undesirable characteristics that need to be removed through careful breeding. I have 1st, 2nd and mixed line birds. It is easy to tell the 1st line are Isbars. The 2nd and mixed line birds show influences of what look like Marans and Ameraucanas to me. My guess is whoever GFF purchased their 2nd line from was working on egg color and crossbreeding. On the FB page, we have had discussions with members of the preservation group over in Sweden about some of the characteristics that are showing up in the 2nd line. I don't think all the preservation group Isbars in Sweden are as uniform as the 1st line birds we have here, but they don't have the odd characteristics that are showing up in the 2nd line here - red or copper hackles, saddle and wings; small pea-like combs; lack of wattles; larger body type; others that are not coming to mind at the moment. Some of the birds from the 2nd line do appear very similar to the 1st line, but it is hard to say what their genetics are hiding.

Some things that I am not fond of in the 2nd line, but we haven't directly addressed if it shows up in the preservation flocks are higher incidences of brown egg layers and lighter eyes.

The 2nd line does add much needed diversity, but trying to breed a flock uniform enough to be recognized as a breed from them alone would be a very long project, IMO. With conscientious breeding, I think we can restore vitality to the 1st line.

Back
Top Bottom