BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
If anyone could give me a time frame about when my beautiful pullet may start to lay? She's 12 weeks. I know that's really early ! However, every breed is different. Thank you for any input and would love to see some of the eggs. If anyone would like to share. Thanks a million!
Edited: her comb seemed to grow over night. I just separated her from her hatching mate which was a cockerel trying to do his business. So I have not been ode enough to her too see any squatting .

Cockerels will try their luck long before pullets will lay eggs. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be how roosters work.
Most pullets will lay around 20 weeks old, so you likely only have to wait another 8-12 weeks longer. Her comb and wattles will be large, and as bright red as a Christmas candle. Post a picture of her on the first egg countdown thread, the moderator there is really good at being able to tell.
Good luck!

Cockerels will try their luck long before pullets will lay eggs. I'm not sure why, but it seems to be how roosters work.
Most pullets will lay around 20 weeks old, so you likely only have to wait another 8-12 weeks longer. Her comb and wattles will be large, and as bright red as a Christmas candle. Post a picture of her on the first egg countdown thread, the moderator there is really good at being able to tell.
Good luck!
She's tiny still ! I truly want her to go as long as possible ! Thank you for the thread info . I have a few getting closer . I'll definitely use! Thanks a million !

Last edited:
I have two blue isbars and am so excited for my oldest to start laying. She's 20-21 weeks old and The other one is 21 days behind her. Is there a few of you that would be willing to post some pictures of there eggs? I have two green laying EE's but I hear there eggs are a different color green . Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have to say next to my Aussie and BR these ladies are as sweet as pie ! If I had enough room I would have a coop filled with isbars!!
1f423.png
1f425.png

I have two blue isbars and am so excited for my oldest to start laying. She's 20-21 weeks old and The other one is 21 days behind her. Is there a few of you that would be willing to post some pictures of there eggs? I have two green laying EE's but I hear there eggs are a different color green . Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have to say next to my Aussie and BR these ladies are as sweet as pie ! If I had enough room I would have a coop filled with isbars!!
1f423.png
1f425.png
Though the green of the Isbar eggs may be different from the green of your EE eggs, don't count on it until you see them. The greens are all made with the same genes and it is the particular combination that each hen receives that determines the particular color. It takes a combination of brown egg genes and blue egg genes to make green. There are many different genes for brown (hence the multitude of brown shades), while only one (that I know of) has been identified for blue eggs at this point. The exact color of green will depend on how many and what combination of brown genes the hen has, and some say it also depends on whether the hen inherited one copy of the blue egg gene, or two.

With that said, my Isbars lay lots of different colors of green eggs, and each hen's can change from day to day.
big_smile.png
Also, some Isbar eggs are speckled.
yesss.gif
I can't recall ever seeing a speckled EE egg.
idunno.gif

Here's some pics:

These are all Isbar eggs, from 4 different hens over about 3 days time.

The top two on the right are Isbar eggs (actually all three are
hmm.png
, but the brown egg layer has gone to lay eggs for another nice family)

These are from my other Isbar group, the first and third are from the same hen, two different days in the same week. That is a quarter beside them for size comparison.

The center dark green egg is also an Isbar egg.

Though the green of the Isbar eggs may be different from the green of your EE eggs, don't count on it until you see them. The greens are all made with the same genes and it is the particular combination that each hen receives that determines the particular color. It takes a combination of brown egg genes and blue egg genes to make green. There are many different genes for brown (hence the multitude of brown shades), while only one (that I know of) has been identified for blue eggs at this point. The exact color of green will depend on how many and what combination of brown genes the hen has, and some say it also depends on whether the hen inherited one copy of the blue egg gene, or two. With that said, my Isbars lay lots of different colors of green eggs, and each hen's can change from day to day. :D Also, some Isbar eggs are speckled. :yesss: I can't recall ever seeing a speckled EE egg. :idunno Here's some pics: These are all Isbar eggs, from 4 different hens over about 3 days time. The top two on the right are Isbar eggs (actually all three are :/ , but the brown egg layer has gone to lay eggs for another nice family) These are from my other Isbar group, the first and third are from the same hen, two different days in the same week. That is a quarter beside them for size comparison. The center dark green egg is also an Isbar egg. Wow pretty! I was thinking about mating the two isbars in Spring with my CM roo. I have two EES that lay blue. I would also love to mate them with him. See what I get. Your eggs look a bit mossy. very pretty ! I love the look of them. My gals that lay green is a lighter shiny green. Waiting is driving me crazy ! Do you find isbars to be one of your favorite breed? They look like they lay s huge egg for there size ! Thank you for sharing I appreciate it! My older one hatched out of a very dark missy green but the other was almost grey/white color. It will be interesting to see which lays a darker egg.

Last edited:
1f423.png
1f425.png

The blues are from my legbars - the greens from my Isbars....

As KYTinpusher said -- Isbars will lay speckeles....Love the Isbar eggs that have spots. Congrats on your pullets starting to lay. Isbars are loveable!
love.gif

Last edited:
The blues are from my legbars - the greens from my Isbars.... As KYTinpusher said -- Isbars will lay speckeles....Love the Isbar eggs that have spots. Congrats on your pullets starting to lay. Isbars are loveable! :love
I absolutely think those eggs are beautiful! How is a legbars temperament? I was looking into purchasing some eggs to incubate.

I absolutely think those eggs are beautiful! How is a legbars temperament? I was looking into purchasing some eggs to incubate.
IMO - the Isbar rooster will be nicer than the Legbar -- the females about equal - some of my Isbars have been very curious but less friendly - and one of my Isbars is super curious and friendly..... so there is a range from the ones I have had.

I still can't stop looking at these beautiful eggs you guys all shared ! Matilda is RED! She started squatting about a week ago. Yesterday my cockerel successfully did his thing with her. She didn't fight him. Like my bigger girls. How much longer Intel she lays after these factors? Yes, she is two fingers wide as well. I'm so excited! I'm hoping today !!

Last edited:
My pulley is 23 weeks with a beautiful red com and face! I'll take pictures. My rooster has mated her. She's been squatting for two weeks. When are the eggs coming? I'm so excited to see what color!

Back
Top Bottom