BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
The first ever Isbar chick I hatched:

There are few black Isbars in this neck of the woods--- I hope it is black!
yesss.gif

The father was a chick I got from Omega Hills summer of 2014 - the mother is a descendent of the originals -- and of that little quad, she is the only one I have left.
Adorable chick!
love.gif
Congratulations!
clap.gif
Any updated pictures?
pop.gif

Quote: Gorgeous girls!
love.gif
I knew you would be hooked once you got some!
wink.png

Nice color!
thumbsup.gif

Hi, I am new to Isbars. I ordered some eggs, and hatched 7 out of 8. I kept these 2, and they are from the 2nd line from Greenfire farms. Can't wait for my first egg.

Beautiful girls!
highfive.gif
They should make your egg basket very pretty! How old are they? I don't think the splash is a cockerel, I think she may be getting close to POL. Do you have a picture of the blue from the side? Her comb does not look like a single comb, but it could be the angle.

Thanks @ChicKat , just starting with them. I have done some research, and have read that people prefer the first line of Isbars over the second. But I have also read of all the immune problems with the 1st line. Perhaps, somewhere down the line, I can add some of the 1st line into my breeding for those darker eyes people are talking about. But for now, I am happy to add a green egg layer to my basket.
Most of us that have the 1st line have overcome the immune problems caused by inbreeding by carefully choosing our breeders and getting as much diversity as we could. The chicks and adults from my 1st line breeders have been very healthy. If you plan to breed in the future, yes, take the time to find some good 1st import stock to add to your flock.

Thanks, I got shipped eggs a year or so ago from a reputable breeder, but out of two sets of eggs, only one hatched. I concluded that shipped Isbar eggs don't hatch well. But I think the eggs I got were from the 1st line, and not as hardy as the second line. I loved the coloring of the black roo I hatched, but gave him away after experimenting crossing him with my cream legbar hen for sex-linked chicks. I got one black sex-linked hen from the cross, and just love her. She has beautiful large dark eyes, and black feathers with coral/red and iridescent green highlights. She started laying large green eggs at about six months, and outlay all my other hens including the cream legbar hens. I get six to seven eggs from her each week - she rarely takes a break from laying.

Because of this hen, I want to get some Isbars again, and perphaps to create some more sex-linked chicks. I think some are calling them (blue) ice cream bars.

I think you are right about the splash being a roo. I can see the more prominent red comb also. Both are very pretty.
Sorry, I am way behind in answering PMs.
hide.gif
I find that my Isbar X's are excellent layers, too. I have a couple of projects going and was going to sell the hens once they completed their part of the project, but they are wonderful layers
thumbsup.gif
, so they stay. If it weren't for my Isbars and Isbar X's, I would have been buying eggs to eat this winter
ep.gif
, and I had about 60 hens of various breeds over the winter!

I got eggs from @alchemist farm this spring and hatched out 4 healthy, beautiful chicks! (I know, I need to get pictures!
hide.gif
) She is in Northern CA and the shipping may go easier to you.
wink.png
She has first import line.

Yes, Know just what you mean, I only have 1 of the first line Isbar left. Predators got two females that I got in that Quad and the male went to another person who nolonger has him. I thought he would be too closely related to breed to the females I got with him. A friend of mine has splash from the first import but doesn't breed.

I wonder if there would be some way -- a track could be kept of people who have the originals that are healthy -- so together those of us who value that look could all work to keep the dark eye characteristic in Isbars?

This chick has the dark eyes, I think it is a pullet hatched 2/14. the mother an original, the father -- from Omega Hills Farms has dark brown eyes -- not the ones that look black.
Beautiful chick!
love.gif
I am sorry about the girls you lost to the predator.
hit.gif
hugs.gif
You were wise not to breeed siblings together, though I am sure it was difficult to re-home your boy. I do my best to keep track of who has good 1st import stock out there.
wink.png

That guy is so gorgeous! one of the chicks that I hatched 2/14 (I only got 2 Isbars and 2 legbars from that hatch) -- acted like a little general right from a few days old and I thought male.... he is striking a pose here:

I had hoped he would grow up to look like the male in your picture -- but sadly was dead in the brooder at 1-week old. No trauma, no signs of struggle or suffering.
hit.gif
hugs.gif

I am so sorry!

This is his nephew "Boss Jr."

Below is his granddaughter, Sparkle.

They are mixes. Look at grandaughter's dark eyes...
Adorable chicks! I hope they are both pullets for you!

I have to tell you my Isbars are outlaying anything in my flock right now. By far! Beautiful green eggs...some speckled. I really have a fondness for them! They are little powerhouses of eggs!
Mine, too!
thumbsup.gif

I don't know why the fact that they are excellent layers are not well known.
I think it has much to do with their history in this country. The first line had so many vitality issues due to inbreeding that many breeders gave up on them and most people forgot about them. It wasn't until GFF brought in the 2nd import that they started to gain in popularity. Unfortunately, the 2nd import has its own set of issues, though heartier, that threaten the future of the breed in the US. If we can get enough breeders educated about good breeding in the Isbars, I think it will become very well known as the gorgeous, friendly, efficient production breed it was bred to be.

Okay- I need to set up my breeding pens for my Isbars and I need some help in figuring out who to mate:

I would like a whole flock of blues and splash if possible.

Am I looking at this correctly?
Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Black X Black = 100% Black

So, right now I have:

GFF second generation blue rooster & blue hen
GFF second generation 2 black roosters (One silver hackled and one gold hackled)
GFF second generation 3 black hens
KYTinpusher 2 black hens (I believe these were from your split 1/2 pen)

I have some that were bred to a different blue rooster and my blue hen:
From this mating I have two splash hens, two blue hens and two black hens.

Any suggestions are welcome here... Thanks!
How many hens and how many roosters do you want in your breeding program? Do you have pictures of your potential breeders? Make sure first you are breeding for vitality. Egg color (making sure all offspring carry the blue egg gene and eventually all being homozygous), egg size and egg production are next in importance with this breed. Then make sure you are breeding good examples of the breed plumage color and form wise.

Using black breeders is going to limit your blue offspring and eliminate splash as a possibility from them. You have a lot of black hens, so I would try to find an unrelated splash rooster to put over them so you will have 100% blue offspring. (I wish you were closer, I have one in the brooder you could have.) You could also put any blue hens that are related to your blue roo in with him for blue and splash offspring. Then pair the best of you black roosters with your splash hens for 100% blue offspring. Then use your blue rooster with any remaining unrelated blue hens for blue black and splash offspring and sell off the black offspring.

That is how I would do it.
wink.png

I recently purchased Blue Isbar hatching eggs from 3 different people. 1st Import and then a mix from the breeding of 1st import hens and a 2nd import rooster and lastly hatching eggs from Greenfire Farms most recent import. Just wondering what everyone here prefers as far as which import and why? I have a 1st import blue splash hen and she is so great it has made me want to become a breeder. I prefer 1st import.

Happily the above is a roo, the below surprisingly is a pullet!
clap.gif
I hope the cockerel grows up to look just like his uncle! What are they mixed with? Do you have any current pictures?

I recently purchased Blue Isbar hatching eggs from 3 different people. 1st Import and then a mix from the breeding of 1st import hens and a 2nd import rooster and lastly hatching eggs from Greenfire Farms most recent import. Just wondering what everyone here prefers as far as which import and why? I have a 1st import blue splash hen and she is so great it has made me want to become a breeder. I prefer 1st import.

Welcome to the club!
big_smile.png
Those that have been blessed to know the 1st import almost always prefer it to the second. It is hands down, no contest for me. The first import is much more consistent in physical appearance and seems to be more consistent in being homozygous for the blue egg gene also. And those dark eyes are captivating!
love.gif

Carefully chosen 2nd import stock can be helpful to add diversity to the breeding population, but may hide several genes that are undesirable, so care must be taken in selection as well as continued diligence in selecting offspring to be used for further breeding. If you are going to become a breeder, please educate yourself fully on what this breed is supposed to be.

@KYTinpusher they are almost 5 months old, and the blue pullet is a single comb must just be the angle of the photo.

Welcome to the club!
big_smile.png
Those that have been blessed to know the 1st import almost always prefer it to the second. It is hands down, no contest for me. The first import is much more consistent in physical appearance and seems to be more consistent in being homozygous for the blue egg gene also. And those dark eyes are captivating!
love.gif

Carefully chosen 2nd import stock can be helpful to add diversity to the breeding population, but may hide several genes that are undesirable, so care must be taken in selection as well as continued diligence in selecting offspring to be used for further breeding. If you are going to become a breeder, please educate yourself fully on what this breed is supposed to be.

Thanks for the feedback. I have educated myself pretty well but wish I had done so before ordering eggs. I researched some and sadly took GFF for their word because they made it sound like the newest import was the best. Glad to have some from all imports (if they hatch) but really wish I had researched further before ordering eggs and spending a fortune because now I see that many would give anything to have some of the first imports and from what I have found, the breeder I ordered my 1st import hatching eggs from had to wipe out her whole flock and start over to get rid of the 2nd import genes. She said she had perfect 1st import birds and thought she would add some 2nd import blood to the mix and at first it was great, then those undesirable genes you mentioned started showing their ugly faces and she had to start over. Her first import stock (which is what I ordered) came from Walli Johnson in KY and she said it was the best she has ever seen. I just hope all eggs hatch! I am going to make sure my first import stock doesn't mix with the others I have in the incubator. I have seen some horror stories of Isbars ordered from GFF. They looked like some random mix bred barnyard chicken and sadly, they probably are.

Thanks for the feedback. I have educated myself pretty well but wish I had done so before ordering eggs. I researched some and sadly took GFF for their word because they made it sound like the newest import was the best. Glad to have some from all imports (if they hatch) but really wish I had researched further before ordering eggs and spending a fortune because now I see that many would give anything to have some of the first imports and from what I have found, the breeder I ordered my 1st import hatching eggs from had to wipe out her whole flock and start over to get rid of the 2nd import genes. She said she had perfect 1st import birds and thought she would add some 2nd import blood to the mix and at first it was great, then those undesirable genes you mentioned started showing their ugly faces and she had to start over. Her first import stock (which is what I ordered) came from Walli Johnson in KY and she said it was the best she has ever seen. I just hope all eggs hatch! I am going to make sure my first import stock doesn't mix with the others I have in the incubator. I have seen some horror stories of Isbars ordered from GFF. They looked like some random mix bred barnyard chicken and sadly, they probably are.
That's me!
lol.png
I share your assessment of the second import.
duc.gif

That's me!
lol.png
I share your assessment of the second import.
duc.gif

Oh cool!! Hope all of the eggs I bought hatch! Your stock has made it to GA.
clap.gif
I got mine from Lisa in Nashville and she has nothing but good things to say about you and your birds. I think once I find some chocolate egg layer hatching eggs for my great aunt I am done hatching eggs for me this season. She said she didn't care what breed, she just wants pretty eggs.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom