BLUE ISBARS - Pictures and discussion

Pics
In reading through this thread I have read that Isbars are more difficult to hatch. Why is that?
The theory that most have been working on to improve the hatches - is that the gene pool for the Isbar -- which we are now calling the Silverudd's Blue (Isbar) to match Sweden's official name change - is very thin, and that the bird is so inbred that the gene pool isn't robust. When people get good quality Isbars from different locations* there has seemed to be an improvement in the hatch rate.

Add to that, a couple of years ago there were hatches that didn't live past the 1-week old mark.

Now I think several owners are successfully hatching beautiful Silverudd's Blues with the luminous dark eyes -- but it is still a rare breed. My understanding also is that they are not easy to mass-produce - so maybe hatcheries have less interest in them.

There is an effort underway to import some new authentic Silverudd's Blues from Sweden to provide a more varied and healthy gene pool.

* That is to say that often a group of these chickens bought together are brothers and sisters. There are some of the people raising them that are careful not to breed siblings together.

Have to add also -- that the effort involved in increasing the numbers of this breed is definitely worthwhile. HTH

Last edited:
The theory that most have been working on to improve the hatches - is that the gene pool for the Isbar -- which we are now calling the Silverudd's Blue (Isbar) to match Sweden's official name change - is very thin, and that the bird is so inbred that the gene pool isn't robust. When people get good quality Isbars from different locations* there has seemed to be an improvement in the hatch rate.

Add to that, a couple of years ago there were hatches that didn't live past the 1-week old mark.

Now I think several owners are successfully hatching beautiful Silverudd's Blues with the luminous dark eyes -- but it is still a rare breed. My understanding also is that they are not easy to mass-produce - so maybe hatcheries have less interest in them.

There is an effort underway to import some new authentic Silverudd's Blues from Sweden to provide a more varied and healthy gene pool.

* That is to say that often a group of these chickens bought together are brothers and sisters. There are some of the people raising them that are careful not to breed siblings together.

Have to add also -- that the effort involved in increasing the numbers of this breed is definitely worthwhile. HTH
Wow! I had no idea. I feel fortunate to have had 2 out of 2 hatch. Thank you for the explanation. :)

Martin's 1/2 sister, Junior's mom...
I'm sorry. Yes, Martin's 1/2 sister, Juniors Mom. That is the next chicken that I want! I have the Blue Isbar Rooster and Cream Legbar pullet, but I will need to sadly find a good home for my Blue Isbar because I cannot have roosters where I live. I really look forward to some day living in an area where I can have roosters!

Currently I am playing with my frizzles, This little boy "Splash" has a thing going with "Goldie"
They are always together, and roost together at night. My hubby says we have to keep him.

Awe Martin was gorgeous! I hope to have a roo like him one day!
Love the frizzles as well
smile.png

Hello, I had one of 9 that made it to lockdown hatch earlier today...he or she was just shy of 21 days. I'm hoping the rest are going to hatch tonight or tomorrow. They are rocking, and one already cracked it's shell. I'm amazed at how much earlier Izzy or Blue (obviously the name depends on if it's a girl or boy) hatched. I had one of the 9 peck a hole in its she'll on day 19....lots of liquid came out, and it did not make it. I had a lot of trouble with my incubator randomly jumping 5 degrees then falling 10. I think the biggest variance was a low of 94 and a high of 105. But they have been lucky so far...I'll update later. I just wanted to share the first: meet Izzy or Blue!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Last edited:
Hello, I had one of 9 that made it to lockdown hatch earlier today...he or she was just shy of 21 days. I'm hoping the rest are going to hatch tonight or tomorrow. They are rocking, and one already cracked it's shell. I'm amazed at how much earlier Izzy or Blue (obviously the name depends on if it's a girl or boy) hatched. I had one of the 9 peck a hole in its she'll on day 19....lots of liquid came out, and it did not make it. I had a lot of trouble with my incubator randomly jumping 5 degrees then falling 10. I think the biggest variance was a low of 94 and a high of 105. But they have been lucky so far...I'll update later. I just wanted to share the first: meet Izzy or Blue![IMG]
[URL='https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7343020/'][IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7343020/width/200/height/400[/URL]
Congratulations on Izzy-Blue~!
wee.gif

good luck with the rest of your hatch!
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom