Blue Jay nest

SarahBeth9394

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Yesterday when I went to pick up my kids at school I noticed something as I was pulling out the driveway. There was a good sized nest that had fallen from a tree in my front yard. I had to get a closer look. There were two eggs. One was cracked the other intact. There was nothing I could do. I have no bator and I don't know how long the nest was down. The egg wasn't warm. There must have been a good sized predator after the eggs and some sort of fight because the nest survived the recent winds. It was anchored on the tree with a good deal of mud. Anyhow it was a bummer.

It's sad to see things like that, but there is only so much we can do. They might start over again.

Did you keep the nest or try to put it back? I found a cardinal egg on my lawn last year, so I kept it in a small nest I found on the ground. I put it amongst my plants on a shelf.

Thats too bad . i squished a robins egg by accident last year, i t was just laying there and i thought it was a malted egg my kids dropped. But then later that month i saved a robin that fell out the nes and broke his wing. THis year a got a pair of wrens nesting und the window awning outside my dining area. I expect the first egg the next couple days. I plan on taking a picture every day maybe een a webcam.

I put the nest with the egg in it on the patio. I couldn't replace it in the tree cuz that was too high and I'd probably not anchor it good enough. Last year we had a pair of barn swallows build a nest on our patio. They raised two clutches of eggs. A couple of weeks ago the barn swallows returned to the area and a new pair is occupying the nest. I can't wait to see the babies heads pop up when calling for food. They are so cute.

Back
Top Bottom