Blue laced red wyandotte and orpington Mix

I agree, looks like a FTT. You have 2 that size?
Yes...well I thought until I took this pic from above. But the smaller 2 are close. My my orpington mix started off smaller. Little wyandotte in the middle

Attachments

• 20231019_204057.jpg
    20231019_204057.jpg
    689.6 KB · Views: 12
So what do I do about that? She hasn't had any issues with pasty butt and seems to be eating and drinking fine.

I know they are. I was really just curious about the breed in general. Do the cockerels have a give away like darker chests or the coloring of the wings
The dark chest thing doesn't work with Wyandottes (single laced), it only works on the "wild type" pattern (partridge) like Welsummer, Partridge Orpington, some Easter Eggers, etc. With Wyandottes, the males and females have the same laced chest even when full grown. The males will eventually start to develop a more broken up pattern though, with larger patches of solid color on the wings, while the females will remain evenly laced on their whole bodies. Your chicks aren't even fully feathered yet though, it's too early to tell anything at this point.

Sometimes there are runts that are just smaller, it doesn't have to mean failure to thrive. Or maybe there's an underlying reason why they are so small, and it will eventually catch up to them and make them sick or kill them. There's no way to know really.

The dark chest thing doesn't work with Wyandottes (single laced), it only works on the "wild type" pattern (partridge) like Welsummer, Partridge Orpington, some Easter Eggers, etc. With Wyandottes, the males and females have the same laced chest even when full grown. The males will eventually start to develop a more broken up pattern though, with larger patches of solid color on the wings, while the females will remain evenly laced on their whole bodies. Your chicks aren't even fully feathered yet though, it's too early to tell anything at this point.
Okay, thanks! They were an impulse buy and I hadn't looked into them as much as I have with my others.

Sometimes there are runts that are just smaller, it doesn't have to mean failure to thrive. Or maybe there's an underlying reason why they are so small, and it will eventually catch up to them and make them sick or kill them. There's no way to know really.
She is very calm and looks sleepy a lot...I wonder if there is something going on. I just thought she was sweet..

I did have one other (speckled sussex) that I bought with them that mysteriously died and I'm not sure why. Might have been cocci, but no one else had symptoms of that and still don't.

She is very calm and looks sleepy a lot...I wonder if there is something going on. I just thought she was sweet..

I did have one other (speckled sussex) that I bought with them that mysteriously died and I'm not sure why. Might have been cocci, but no one else had symptoms of that and still don't.
Sleepy is worrisome... They should be alert, active and curious at that age :( Is she eating, drinking and pooping well? Sounds like there might be something deeper going on.

Sleepy is worrisome... They should be alert, active and curious at that age :( Is she eating, drinking and pooping well? Sounds like there might be something deeper going on.
Well, maybe sleepy wasn't exactly right. She does run around in the brooder but is kind of clingy to the bigger one. I took them outside today and she was exploring and pecking but only when she was near the big one or if she's standing still, she'll close her eyes. So like when I take her Out of the brooder, she will stand still (theyre all kind of scared on the tile) But then close her eyes

If one died randomly it could be cocci blood doesnt always show as a symptom could also be why their stunted

Back
Top Bottom