Blue laced red wyandotte growth!!

Photo bomb!

I am hoping it is ok if I post a few chicks here. This is my first time with Wyandottes, and I am surprised by how slow they are feathering out compared to my other birds. In particular I have one chick who is tiny and very, very slow to give up the down! Eats well, active, but just small and slow growing. Wondering if this is a normal variance, or if there might be something wrong with this little one. I also think I only have one blue-laced, and that I am getting three with black. They are 4 weeks old in these pics.

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4 (the slow one)

And their 10 week pics.

Chick #1
He is a chunky, calm boy. Unfortunately, unless he finds a new home, he will be going to freezer camp in another month.

Chick #2

Chick #3

Chick #4 (still smaller but catching up)

I love how chunky 1 and 4 are of yours, very cute. Here is 2 and 4 of my 10 week olds. They are hard to get pics of, kept trying to run away!

This in 2

Thank you for the input! I do have to say I really like my splash and was considering just keeping him with my mixed flock for the fun of it. The bluest one that you like is my smallest, and overall he isn't as "macho" looking as the other two. That said, they are all together with five younger pullets, the other day I had everyone including my 15 week olds running together and I saw my little man attempt to defend one of his girls from an older hen... He lost, but he tried. I think he claimed his right to stay!

Thank you for the input! I do have to say I really like my splash and was considering just keeping him with my mixed flock for the fun of it. The bluest one that you like is my smallest, and overall he isn't as "macho" looking as the other two. That said, they are all together with five younger pullets, the other day I had everyone including my 15 week olds running together and I saw my little man attempt to defend one of his girls from an older hen... He lost, but he tried. I think he claimed his right to stay!

Nothing wrong with keeping the one who's personality you like best. I would never keep an aggressive rooster, even if he was gorgeous. Personality is inherited too. A splash laced rooster would definitely be fun in a mixed breed pen. I had a splash laced rooster in my layer pen for awhile. He made some pretty mixed breed babies, especially with the black hens.

Top Pic; the one on the far left is my vote to rehome, think it's the one in front in the other group pic. Then again as StarMeKritten says, personality counts. Glad I'm not having to make a decision :) I'll be getting 2 BLRW in Sept along with 2 Orpingtons (blue & lavender)....My favorite combo.

Back
Top Bottom