Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I think the dark one is black and the other is blue. So you have 3 total? how many more eggs in the hatcher?

3 more in there. No pips but I typically give them an extra day and then will candle tomorrow evening. I've also got bunches of other eggs in there.
big_smile.png

Quote: Sorry, Guess I need to single mate them and find out who is throwing straight combs. Guess I know what I will be doing the next few weeks
roll.png
Good thing I am don't hatching ANYTHING. What to cross them with? I have Marans and Barred Rocks and Leghorns. Any interesting crosses I can then sell?
why cross them with anything? it's a known fact that most blrw do carry single comb, or even the best breeders wouldn't have them pop up... so just keep the singles for eggs and the rose combs for breeding. unless you're of the opinion that the fertility issues are because of the rose comb, then use a single for that... i'm not of that opinion, but some are.

My thoughts behind it is that if you find an RR roo, any chicks from him will only show R. They will only show the R even if hen/pullet carries the recessive s. Even better if a nice pullet can be found with RR. I'm not too sure about how this will affect the egg laying capacity as that was DMRippys comment..... if the straight comb chick from last night is a girl I am planning on putting her in my general egg laying population or selling her as an egg layer next spring. If a boy he'll go to freezer camp in a few months. IMO for those of us who want to show the birds or perhaps keep a "correct" flock to sell fertile eggs from a DQ that is showing (ss) should not continue to be bred into the flock.

Last edited:
I too do not share the theory about keeping straight combs into the line. unless fertility is truly problem, but I would rather find another line of Rosecombs to breed , not a single comb.

Even if my Straight comb chick is a roo, I will keep it. Use it when I hatch laying birds. the babies will be sooo cute.

Last edited:
I think what Karen is saying is just cull the straight comb chicks and keep breeding. BUT I think puglady might be on to something with having a RR roo. I kinda have two minds of it. A RR roo MIGHT have more fertility issues..... I would have to test that. Might be better off having RR pullets/hens. When breeding Rs x Rs only 25% could show straight combs. I am going to take a break from hatching in Dec. So that might be a good time to set up some test matings for January hatching. I need to do some planning. What would be a good sample? I am thinking it would not need to be too many. If they are crossed with straight combed Marans I would think it would show with just a few chicks.... maybe 1-2 weeks collection should get it. I will post the results.

I think what Karen is saying is just cull the straight comb chicks and keep breeding. BUT I think puglady might be on to something with having a RR roo. I kinda have two minds of it. A RR roo MIGHT have more fertility issues..... I would have to test that. Might be better off having RR pullets/hens. When breeding Rs x Rs only 25% could show straight combs. I am going to take a break from hatching in Dec. So that might be a good time to set up some test matings for January hatching. I need to do some planning. What would be a good sample? I am thinking it would not need to be too many. If they are crossed with straight combed Marans I would think it would show with just a few chicks.... maybe 1-2 weeks collection should get it. I will post the results.

Yes, I'm definitely culling for straight combs. Any bird showing one won't be bred forward in my breeding or show stock but will find a home in my general laying flock or sold to someone simply looking for a pretty egg layer. If you can find the RR instead of the Rs pullets that would be absolutely great! Perhaps I'm just taking the "easy way" out but if I can replace one Rs roo with an RR roo and have the offspring good for show it would definitely be simpler. It'll be interesting going forward to see if it does impact fertility.

So far the chick count is 3 with one drying off in the hatcher. S/he seems to be a weaker one though. I'll give them some time to see if its just super tired from hatching.

Last edited:
I tested the SLW roo by hatching 6 eggs and 3/3 were the results, so I know now he is Rr. He is very horny compared to the other roo that is RR...

Back
Top Bottom