Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ilovemydog, Mar 16, 2011.

1. PaintedFeathers

PaintedFeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Weare, New Hampshire
    she eats fine, I give her her own bowl of moist crumbles every morning. She seems to drink fine as well.
    I do respect your opinion, however I am not the breeder and got her and her brother from a friend who bought them unknowingly. Her quality of life is fine and I make sure all her needs are met. She will not be bred, she is with my laying flock. I do hope the breeder just doesn't know about the defects and finds out, but she may just not care [​IMG] The brother passed away yesterday from some sort of neurological disorder, which is also why I am not going to even try to breed her. It may be genetic. She is just a pet.
  2. Nava

Nava I Got The Naked Neck Blues

Aug 2, 2009
    Ocala Fl
    I don't see any pullets here.
  3. SalinasChicken

SalinasChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2012
    I agree with Nava, I only see cockerels :(
  4. PeakyBeaky

PeakyBeaky Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Bellefonte, PA
    X 3.
  5. sol2go

sol2go Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2012
    Coastal California
    Thank you for this statement, it helps me with some of my flock challenges. While I enjoy my flock and consider many of them pets, it is a good reminder that all in all it is animal husbandry. I really appreciate your sensitive approach to difficult decisions that I never knew I would have to make.

My early enthusiasm has been tempered by all of the time, effort and personal involvement. I can see that my long term commitment could have been more fruitful if I had had better resources in the beginning. Then again, I love the concept I've seen in BYC (was it yours?) that a flock becomes recognized as a new breeding line when the breeder takes the flock from lemons to lemonade.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  6. KW Farms

KW Farms Out Of The Brooder

Aug 27, 2009
    Wapato, WA
    My first BLR Wyandotte chicks arrived this morning! Very lively and active and so cute! I got them from McMurray. 10 total in this group...

7. pebcrb

pebcrb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    grays harbor, wa
    Bought two pet quality blrw "pullets" today I had to meet the people cause they are over an hour and a half away and they lady seemed shady like she didn't want me to see them. I looked in and could only see butts and we were by the road so I didn't worry about it. Once i got a look at them I am sure at least one is a roo. :( hope they both aren't roos! Unbelievable that some one would do that. I will post some pics later to see what everyone thinks
  8. fowlmouthgirls

fowlmouthgirls Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    East of Dallas
    I've never understood how people can do that kind of crap! Cull your flock if you have too many and kind find homes, don't pawn them off on unsuspecting buyers! What jerks!
  9. pebcrb

May 15, 2013
    grays harbor, wa
    Of course I am new to chickens but I have done research enough to know a roo. Fingers crossed I am wrong!
  10. pebcrb

May 15, 2013
    grays harbor, wa
    The body shapes are different, the one with the bigger, redder, wider comb has a stumpy butt and the more narrow, lighter, smaller combed one has a longer tail. [​IMG]
    Pretty obviously too to me![​IMG] Color doesntcshow well here but size and with does.
    The roo looking one has the best blue of the two :( and it is the only one of my chicks that has ever pecked me! It also has already started pecking my little araucana cockerel and he us just a baby and is like what did I do! ****** at myself for paying $15 bucks for an obvious roo! :( jerks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by