Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Daesee-my chicks looked very similar to the two on the left of you picture. They are now a dark blue and a black.

The chick in the front is now very black. Can't believe how much they change!

4C4DB2B3-0127-4AB0-89C1-FC22C954CD32-6673-0000034A6E05C0B3.jpg
It appears to me that you have two Blue chicks
wink.png
I believe you are calling this one a black? It is a blue on my screen
hu.gif
Blues are my favorite!

It appears to me that you have two Blue chicks ;)  I believe you are calling this one a black? It is a blue on my screen :confused:  Blues are my favorite!

Get out!!!! I would be ecstatic if it turns out to be a blue and a pullet!!!! It looks very very very black in person.

Here is a picture showing some of her chest, the only place any lacing has shown up and it's still weird to me. No red to be seen. In person it's light black laced by dark black.
07A86878-F32B-432D-98AC-138080696F1A-6673-0000034A728577A1.jpg

Are there any Characteristics that would help me distinguish a dark blue from a black? She (wishful thinking) doesn't have much red yet and her undercoat is smoky, not really similar to her sibling who is very obviously a blue.

And anyone have a guess on gender?

Last edited:
Get out!!!! I would be ecstatic if it turns out to be a blue and a pullet!!!! It looks very very very black in person.

Are there any Characteristics that would help me distinguish a dark blue from a black? She (wishful thinking) doesn't have much red yet and her undercoat is smoky, not really similar to her sibling who is very obviously a blue.

This breed is so hard. I've spent hours, days, on the Internet looking at pictures Trying to pinpoint the end color of all my chicks, and for the most part, have figured them out, but there is still one I don't know. And that is the Best part. It's like a perpetual Christmas eve. Am I gonna get this or Gonna get That? I love this breed !

This breed is so hard. I've spent hours, days, on the Internet looking at pictures Trying to pinpoint the end color of all my chicks, and for the most part, have figured them out, but there is still one I don't know. And that is the Best part. It's like a perpetual Christmas eve. Am I gonna get this or Gonna get That? I love this breed !

So in your opinion what will this chick end up as and how long do I wait to say "ok she's a black"? I'm looking for a blue so while blacks are nice, she will go on CL if she isn't blue (or isn't a she).

He is a blue roo. Blacks will have a green sheen and blues will not.
as for the straight run rule pf 75% roos.......i have never heard that and if that were true i dont think anyone would order straight run. I have only ever gotten about 50/50 mix nothing that far out of wack.

I have had two black BLRWs. I have only been raising BLRs for one year so I am relatively new to them, but I have been trying to learn as much as possible because I am in love with this breed. There are many more experienced people on here than me, hopefully some others will chime in with their knowledge
wink.png

However, in my experience, my blacks feathered in BLACK from the very start. VERY black, with a bluish iridescent colored sheen (??) when they stood in the sun. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that the only way you can have that blue color on your chick is if it carries one copy of the dilute gene. (One copy=blue, two copy=splash, no copy=black). If a chick is blue at the start, it won't become black. Just a darker blue possibly. However a really dark chick that may appear black in the beginning can lighten to become more obviously blue. One way to know for sure would be to breed him. I say him because it looks rooish to me. That is my opinion. I have grown out many more boys than girls. I have actually had a very hard time getting quality pullets! If you breed him to a splash, if he is blue you would get 50% blues and 50% splash. If he is a black you would get 100% blues. I hope some of this makes sense! This is just my understanding of the color, I'm still learning......

Here is a (VERY BAD) picture of one of my blacks when she started to feather in. You can see how dark her feathers were from the very start. She was very obviously a black. That was my experience with my other black as well.

As a chick. (I wish I had a better picture!)

And now. You can see there is no dilute to her color.

So bummed that this is most likely a roo. I only set four BLRW eggs because that's all I could get a hold of locally. Two hatched and it seems I got two Roos :(

181743BE-10BE-4C1C-B802-918DAB5C6984-6673-000003CD027F5D31.jpg

07A86878-F32B-432D-98AC-138080696F1A-6673-0000034A728577A1.jpg

The chick in question has no sheen at all so I guess its just a super dark blue. But none the less, if its a roo it's gotta find a new home.

Last edited:
Update photo of my now 14 week old BLRW roo. He still has baby fuzz! He makes no noise....no peeps, no clucking, no crowing. I still haven't named him...thought to name him Pokie because he is so slow feathering, but that is not very manly. I guess he will grow a name eventually.

Back
Top Bottom