Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

So do saddle feathers not mean anything then? I have 10 that I hatched from shipped eggs, only one looks like a hen by her comb/wattles, But several have the pointy saddle feather and are acting rooish and the ones with the round saddle feathers are acting more hen like.

Hello fellow BLRW lovers. I am currently raising my first flock of chickens and have one BLRW. At first I wanted a GLW then while doing research on the breed I came across a picture of a BLRW and just fell in love with the coloring and lacing. I have one 10 week old now. The folks on the "what gender is this?" forum say it's a pullet. Based on the pattern I would agree. I love the lacing that has come in on the tail. What do you think?

Hello fellow BLRW lovers. I am currently raising my first flock of chickens and have one BLRW. At first I wanted a GLW then while doing research on the breed I came across a picture of a BLRW and just fell in love with the coloring and lacing. I have one 10 week old now. The folks on the "what gender is this?" forum say it's a pullet. Based on the pattern I would agree. I love the lacing that has come in on the tail. What do you think?
Congratulations! They're so pretty. Wow - only 10 weeks and feathering so well. My six week old has a loooong way to go.

I'd agree with pullet. She is a splash.

I'm sure you're all tired of these by now but I have been so torn since birth about the sex of this one. 13 weeks old now. Comb has stayed a light pink, but wattles are sort of big but I don't know if that's standard for breed. Are the feather paterns telling you anything? Thanks in advance!

I'm sure you're all tired of these by now but I have been so torn since birth about the sex of this one. 13 weeks old now. Comb has stayed a light pink, but wattles are sort of big but I don't know if that's standard for breed. Are the feather paterns telling you anything? Thanks in advance!

Pullet. I had two of each, and the roos had bigger and darker combs and wattles by 4 weeks. My two girls have also since developed combs and wattles similar to yours but not until around 6-8 weeks. By then, the roos were MUCH bigger.

Here is my main rooster. My question is "Is he a Blue or a Black??
I have thought all along that he is a blue. I still think I am correct.
Here is the problem, he has had 3 splash hens and a blue to mate with and that would mean with 3 of the hensNO BLACK Babbies if I understand the ratio properly and only with the 1 blue hen would he have a 25% chance of black laced offspring. However, I have gotten 1 blue, 9 splash and 5 black babies. Is should be only 3.75 of the babies should be black and something like 50% should be blue and yet I have 5 black and should have 3.75 and should have 7.5 blues and only gotten 1.
Is there a chance he is light black or what am I missing?
thanks for the help.
-Matt

MarshallPrime, how old are his babies that you are looking at? I have limited experience, only having one BLRW, but I was fairly sure for many weeks that she was black. She was the darkest chick I'd ever seen after looking at many, many pics online of BLRW babies--darker than all the other chicks people said had turned out to be black when they grew up. But she eventually turned out to be a medium/dark blue. She is a hatchery hen, not fancy, but here are some pics in case it helps:

Day old:

Maybe 4-5 weeks?

one year:
(she's brassy in front, but not this bad--the way the light was shining on her makes it look worse than it is)

Back
Top Bottom