Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

@dlamb82 That's some good stock you have. Mind saying where they are from?

I really like the blue cock. Has no shafting that I can see nor comb sprigs. He's a breeder for sure :thumbsup

The splash cock looks to be better type but I'm wary of the brass in saddle.
Thank you! They are from Dragonfly farm out of NC. I bought them as hatching eggs last year. None of them have gone through their 18 month molt yet, they won’t be a year old until March so I’m hoping the splash Roo will molt to a bit darker red. I’ll be playing with 3 breeding groups this year to compare color results. I have a Black Roo, Splash Roo and Blue Roo will be using. I plan on banding chicks based off of what pen they come out of so I can see if I want to stick to just blue to blue or not. I have some decent type for most of my birds, they’re all still young so hard to tell for sure yet.

@dlamb82

This will only be my third year with this variety now. From what I've seen the blue really is the marker when it comes to culling the gold shafting. The splash don't show it, if they do then forget about them, and the black always have shafting. So other than wanting at least one blue bird in every pairing to keep the hue of blue in check it seems to be the color to use to combat the gold shafting. If you can find a blue with none it's a keeper barring defect in type or comb. Why I commented on your blue boy, I couldn't see any shafting on him and the red is mahogany without brass. I expect great things from that one.

Edit to add- I checked out Dragonfly. They have nice type and color. They picture a splash with lighter hackle and saddle too. I'm still wary of that but in honesty have not kept a splash cockerel past 20 weeks due to other defects, usually sprigs on comb. That's been two years of hard cull to get where I'm at. Please note that almost too smooth of a comb on my above breeder. Rose is suppose to have bumps but I'm not complaining.

Last edited:
Couldn't get clear photo in low light this morning and now there are too many birds to get decent shots. I've got to give up until I have the breeders selected and in pens. Tried to get a shot of potential black breeder and the only non blurred photo ended up of her sister. Identical but the other has good tail lift.

The cockerel on right in first photo has better body type than the one with mahogany hackle and saddle. I've got to pair him with a hen with a lot of red in hackle to see if I can correct it and not lose the tail lift. I've also a two year old hen that's the same way, best type but almost no red in hackle. Certain she's his mother. She'll be in a pen with the red boy and the black with good type and one (might have two) other with good tails.
DSCN1773.JPG
DSCN1775.JPG

Last edited:
Couldn't get clear photo in low light this morning and now there are too many birds to get decent shots. I've got to give up until I have the breeders selected and in pens. Tried to get a shot of potential black breeder and the only non blurred photo ended up of her sister. Identical but the other has good tail lift.

The cockerel on right in first photo has better body type than the one with mahogany hackle and saddle. I've got to pair him with a hen with a lot of red in hackle to see if I can correct it and not lose the tail lift. I've also a two year old hen that's the same way, best type but almost no red in hackle. Certain she's his mother. She'll be in a pen with the red boy and the black with good type and one (might have two) other with good tails. View attachment 2518484View attachment 2518546
I just have to say that I love your rooster that's clearly pictured... I've looked so many places and I seldom find any that look(as far as body type) like my big guy. Looks like yours is almost a blue twin of mine since Little Fire is a Splash. I'm hoping to get some boys out of him this year so I can set up for him to be replaced since he's getting up there in age now. Also, reading your post makes me so excited to finally get serious about breeding BLRs.

Just came across this thread and thought I'd share my little Winnie.

She is not show quality but is a lovely natured girl, a great broody, lays lovely eggs very regularly and has given me some gorgeous babies (crossed with a silkie).

So for pet quality hen, she is the tops for me. Has everything in spades.

20200807_163359.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200922-193741_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200922-193741_Gallery.jpg
    734.9 KB · Views: 9
Thank you! They are from Dragonfly farm out of NC. I bought them as hatching eggs last year. None of them have gone through their 18 month molt yet, they won’t be a year old until March so I’m hoping the splash Roo will molt to a bit darker red. I’ll be playing with 3 breeding groups this year to compare color results. I have a Black Roo, Splash Roo and Blue Roo will be using. I plan on banding chicks based off of what pen they come out of so I can see if I want to stick to just blue to blue or not. I have some decent type for most of my birds, they’re all still young so hard to tell for sure yet.
I like very much this race , where can I find eggs pls?

This year I'm finally getting into breeding BLRs but now I'm running into a bit of a dilemma. Red wattle development right around and younger than 8 weeks should indicate it's a cockerel correct? It's been a couple years since I've raised BLR chicks and I keep seeing that early coloration is normal in hens but I'm not so sure about wattle growth. I'd be happy if I have as many roosters as I think I may because it gives me plenty of options to choose from since I'm trying to continue my rooster's line more than anything else.

Last year I had a pullet turn into a cockerel at 19 weeks of age. As a long time chicken person it was embarrassing to say the least.

Once in a while you'll get a runty cockerel or hearty pullet that will change the rules but in general BLRW are not that hard to sex.

Back
Top Bottom