Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

He might have a few leaders..but it might be the angle too. He does have some shafting..but his body is beautiful for this age. I really do not stress about shafting at this early in this project bird. Please post monthly pictures of his progress. What are his lines? What are you feeding? Do you have any of his siblings? I love his short beak.

There is a lot I like about him and he seems to get better with age. He's not perfect, no bird is, he does have some shafting and those may be leaders! I'll try to get some better pictures. I've been keeping an eye on them, his comb has been growing and changing a lot recently. He is from the Phage/Luvinbluechickens breeding team in southern California. They are making some gorgeous BLRWs. I had three from them that all hatched together, 2 pullets and him. One of my pullets died in a fluke accident, I still have the other. She is black with a nice dark red (also has shafting) but her form isn't great. She doesn't have a nice round Wyandotte shape. It could just be something that will improve with age? They are getting game bird feed because I wanted something with a higher protein level for my Marans, they are all being kept together right now. They also free range on an acre from about 8 AM to 7PM. I am also growing out 2 other BLRs that are from Foley/Silk N Feather lines. One roo and (possibly) one pullet. The roo is very similar to Oscar, but could maybe be a bit better. Time will tell. The (possible) pullet is a splash with very dark mahogany coming in, but very sparse. They are very young, 8 weeks, so I have awhile before I can really judge them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalChick
Six week old chicks... Guesses on sex?

the furthest black one looks like possibly pullet but can't say for sure, the 3 redder ones i'd say are all cockerels.
the nearer black one is iffy. but not a blrw with those dark legs... maybe australorp or ameraucana/ee?

the blue cochin i'd also say is a cockerel.

Last edited:
Our handsome "Johnny"

Our wyandottes are 3 years old now, and we decided to seperate them out.
The rooster is BLR, and 2 hens are BLR, 1 hen is a silver.
What colors will I get with the BLR Rooster & the Silver hen?

Back
Top Bottom