Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Our wyandottes are 3 years old now, and we decided to seperate them out.
The rooster is BLR, and 2 hens are BLR, 1 hen is a silver.
What colors will I get with the BLR Rooster & the Silver hen?
you'd get golden (split silver) cockerels and red-based girls that may or may not carry the mahogany gene (depends on the roo you use), but would take several generations to get back to true-breeding blrw. slightly less if you WANT silver, by using one of those split silver (aka golden) roos over the silver hen and eliminating any traces of red/mahogany leakage and blue.

So, just a question on the "slow-feathering" gene and how it might affect young birds appearances. I hatched some BLRW eggs that I was told were essentially from Foley lines (several generations removed, I'm sure). The chicks hatched out well enough and looked pretty close to the same as my own BLRW chicks. However, as they have gotten older (think they are about 4-5 weeks now) they've developed an off-white chest and a few of them have not lost their "chipmunk" striping down the back. At first, I thought, "Aw, crud, I got taken here--those chicks just ain't right." My own never develop that off-white chest and, by this point, they have no chipmunking on them. Then I noticed their wings aren't nearly as feathered in as mine usually are (they are markedly shorter). Their blues look decent on the wings and legs and the reds are a nice color (yes, wish I had a picture, but I'm at work!). In any case, is there any different coloration to the chest when they are young and they have the slow-feathering gene? I can't quite see why there would be, but I could definitely be wrong. I'm trying to figure out if these birds were just bad BLRW's (with maybe something else mixed in down the line somewhere) or if there is something I don't know about the slow-feathering thing (which is probably regardless, obviously).

So, just a question on the "slow-feathering" gene and how it might affect young birds appearances. I hatched some BLRW eggs that I was told were essentially from Foley lines (several generations removed, I'm sure). The chicks hatched out well enough and looked pretty close to the same as my own BLRW chicks. However, as they have gotten older (think they are about 4-5 weeks now) they've developed an off-white chest and a few of them have not lost their "chipmunk" striping down the back. At first, I thought, "Aw, crud, I got taken here--those chicks just ain't right." My own never develop that off-white chest and, by this point, they have no chipmunking on them. Then I noticed their wings aren't nearly as feathered in as mine usually are (they are markedly shorter). Their blues look decent on the wings and legs and the reds are a nice color (yes, wish I had a picture, but I'm at work!). In any case, is there any different coloration to the chest when they are young and they have the slow-feathering gene? I can't quite see why there would be, but I could definitely be wrong. I'm trying to figure out if these birds were just bad BLRW's (with maybe something else mixed in down the line somewhere) or if there is something I don't know about the slow-feathering thing (which is probably regardless, obviously).
It is way to early to tell anything. These chicks might turn out to be the best you have. Creams and browns and tans are quite common white feathering in. Some hang onto that until they loose baby feathers and adolescent feathers come in. You will have a much better idea at 14-16 weeks old. I have a batch now that look all brown and cream. They are going to turn out to be a bit lighter blue than the slate.

It is way to early to tell anything. These chicks might turn out to be the best you have. Creams and browns and tans are quite common white feathering in. Some hang onto that until they loose baby feathers and adolescent feathers come in. You will have a much better idea at 14-16 weeks old. I have a batch now that look all brown and cream. They are going to turn out to be a bit lighter blue than the slate.
Rats! Now I am going to be out at their pen examining them every day!! I see many days of OCD behavior in my future...

Sad day I had just culled my blrw last week to 5 pullets and two cockerals for next years breeding ( sold others as pets/ layers). I lost 4 of them yesterday and just got home to find an owl had taken the other 3 as well as one of my slw pullets. I lost 4 during day yesterday and 3 tonight. They were 3 months old and I have always free ranged my chickens but I have sighted two great horned owls in the wood line next to the house. I'm worried about all my wild turkeys I've seem in the woods on nests now and the rest of my flock. These were my first blrw and I have none now. Strange it has left my barred rocks and bcm alone. Maybe they blend in better???

Sad day I had just culled my blrw last week to 5 pullets and two cockerals for next years breeding ( sold others as pets/ layers). I lost 4 of them yesterday and just got home to find an owl had taken the other 3 as well as one of my slw pullets. I lost 4 during day yesterday and 3 tonight. They were 3 months old and I have always free ranged my chickens but I have sighted two great horned owls in the wood line next to the house. I'm worried about all my wild turkeys I've seem in the woods on nests now and the rest of my flock. These were my first blrw and I have none now. Strange it has left my barred rocks and bcm alone. Maybe they blend in better???

That owl apparently has really good taste?

Back
Top Bottom