Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Hi everyone! Please any input on my MM hatchery chics. Got 11 blrw earlier this spring as chicks. I believe I've got a mix of splash, blue, and blue/splash. I'm having a hard time with telling the hens from roos too. From what I've seen on previous posts this breed/color can be tough to sex! They are currently about 14 weeks. I'm not so much worried about show quality, but would like nicer quality chickens that represent the breed nicely. Will have to thin out the flock before long and hoping for some pointers on who the keepers are!

pic 1: splash hen?

pic 2: blue hen?

pic 3: same chic as pic 2- love the lacing!

pic 4: blue not as much lacing

pic 5: straight comb blue roo or hen? Good or bad? Only straight comb in bunch rest seem rose comb.

pic 6: blue right, splash left? Hens/roos?

pic 7: better pic of chic on left from pic 6.

pic 8: same chic from pic 6 on right. Blue hen or roo?

pic 9: splash hen left and blue roo right?

pic 10: any quess on my free polish?

pic 11: blue good/bad, hen/roo?

pic 12: hen left, roo right?

Any guidance is appreciated! I'm not sure if I actually got pics of each and every blrw because they were free ranging when I snapped the pics. I figure you get a good idea of what the flock looks like through these pics. Thanks!!

Dang it!!!
he.gif
Yep cockerel, but he looks younger than 19 weeks I would say he looks like 10-13 weeks old 15 tops. Kind of small for 19

Hi everyone! Please any input on my MM hatchery chics. Got 11 blrw earlier this spring as chicks. I believe I've got a mix of splash, blue, and blue/splash. I'm having a hard time with telling the hens from roos too. From what I've seen on previous posts this breed/color can be tough to sex! They are currently about 14 weeks. I'm not so much worried about show quality, but would like nicer quality chickens that represent the breed nicely. Will have to thin out the flock before long and hoping for some pointers on who the keepers are! pic 1: splash hen? pic 2: blue hen? pic 3: same chic as pic 2- love the lacing! pic 4: blue not as much lacing pic 5: straight comb blue roo or hen? Good or bad? Only straight comb in bunch rest seem rose comb. pic 6: blue right, splash left? Hens/roos? pic 7: better pic of chic on left from pic 6. pic 8: same chic from pic 6 on right. Blue hen or roo? pic 9: splash hen left and blue roo right? pic 10: any quess on my free polish? pic 11: blue good/bad, hen/roo? pic 12: hen left, roo right? Any guidance is appreciated! I'm not sure if I actually got pics of each and every blrw because they were free ranging when I snapped the pics. I figure you get a good idea of what the flock looks like through these pics. Thanks!!
Pic 8 and 11 look like blues, the rest are all splash, the one with the straight comb is a definite cull. Nice looking bunch

My thoughts are in red, for what they are worth.
wink.png

Hi everyone! Please any input on my MM hatchery chics. Got 11 blrw earlier this spring as chicks. I believe I've got a mix of splash, blue, and blue/splash. I'm having a hard time with telling the hens from roos too. From what I've seen on previous posts this breed/color can be tough to sex! They are currently about 14 weeks. I'm not so much worried about show quality, but would like nicer quality chickens that represent the breed nicely. Will have to thin out the flock before long and hoping for some pointers on who the keepers are!

pic 1: splash hen? Cockerel - the more solid wings give it away then the size of that comb.

pic 2: blue hen? I would say yes.

pic 3: same chic as pic 2- love the lacing!

pic 4: blue not as much lacing cockerel

pic 5: straight comb blue roo or hen? Good or bad? Only straight comb in bunch rest seem rose comb.

pic 6: blue right, splash left? Hens/roos?

pic 7: better pic of chic on left from pic 6.

pic 8: same chic from pic 6 on right. Blue hen or roo? cockerel

pic 9: splash hen left and blue roo right?

pic 10: any quess on my free polish?

pic 11: blue good/bad, hen/roo? cockerel

pic 12: hen left, roo right?

Any guidance is appreciated! I'm not sure if I actually got pics of each and every blrw because they were free ranging when I snapped the pics. I figure you get a good idea of what the flock looks like through these pics. Thanks!!

I was thinking the same thing about the straight comb. It's so dissapointing that it has such beautiful blue and that it has to go!! Thanks for the input!

My thoughts are in red, for what they are worth.
wink.png

Thanks! It amazes me how long I can sit outside and stare at these beauties trying to identify pullets from cockerels. My husband laughs at me and I guess I'm lucky I have a child who likes them as much as I do! :) I think I look at them so much trying to decide who gets to stay and who gets sold!

Pic 8 and 11 look like blues, the rest are all splash, the one with the straight comb is a definite cull.

Nice looking bunch
Thanks! I'm sad to say I agree about the straight comb. Such pretty blue coloring that is sad to loose!

So is the skirt (wrong term) portion of pic 2 the reason it is probably not a blue? Too light?

Hello =D I am new to BLRW's, I just got 2 from my friend who are special needs. They both have severely twisted beaks. They are around 3-4 months old aand I was wondering if anyone has a picture of a pullet and of a cockerel I could compare them to? I will post pics when I can but I would like to get some gist of how to tell
smile.png
I am wondering if I have one boy and one girl, but i'm hoping for 2 girls... I have WAY too many other roo's!

Back
Top Bottom