Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

this is my son with one of our blrw, she's not perfect but we love her, she's our house pet, if her colors don't improve she will be in our laying flock.

The two I bought were one day old. The guy told me, when I asked if there was any way to tell what sex they were, that the lighter color stripe on their backs meant they were girls. He pulled out another o e that was much darker and said see, this is a boy.

I think I might have been lied too! I'm really hoping they are girls. He's lucky he lives to far away from me to get to easy
LOL in my experience, birds with the chipmunk pattern, the pullets will have wider more well defined 'arrowheads' on the top of their head, while the roos would be narrower or less defined edges to it. for a bird that doesn't have the blue/splash dilution, the pullets tend to be darker (but not always). but that is strictly within same-color/breed chicks. you can't compare different colors or breeds to each other.

my dorkings are fairly easy to sex as day olds. the blrw much more difficult, next to impossible most times.

here's a pic of some dorking chicks, so you see what I mean...

if you look, there's one with a narrow head stripe, compared to the one just below him with a darker/wider 'arrowhead' type marking with very defined edges... that's cockerel above, pullet below (red dorkings) and on the silver greys, the 3 heads you see top left, they were all pullets. like I said, some are easier to tell than others... some of the reds were iffy, like the one at the bottom. turned out that was also a pullet but I wasn't sure at first.

usually the darker color just means it's blue not splash... you can't sex by color on a bird that has variable shades of color. LOL that would be like saying all blacks are male all splash female. nope.

edit: one thing I didn't mention... comparing your 2 splash chicks to each other, if I had to guess based on markings alone i'd say you've got one of each. cockerel above the pullet (on the 2nd pic of just the 2) since the lower one has a wider head marking and the other's edges are more ragged/less distinct... again just a guess tho.

Last edited:
I wormed my chickens with Wazine close to a month back. I understand that it will not kill all types of worms. I have some Safeguard for goats and see where some give to chickens for worms and repreat in a few weeks. Is there a waiting time I should observe before trying this. I thought that I would use this since I had it and next year go to the Ivermectin.

I don't know about the others, but for ivermectin, it IS used on humans in 3rd world countries where internal parasites are common, so I don't worry about it and keep eating and hatching the eggs anyways. you might try googling the other drugs and see if there's a human use and how safe it is, that should tell you if you need to worry at least... but most drugs I think have a 14 day withdrawal, some as high as 30...

I don't know about the others, but for ivermectin, it IS used on humans in 3rd world countries where internal parasites are common, so I don't worry about it and keep eating and hatching the eggs anyways.  you might try googling the other drugs and see if there's a human use and how safe it is, that should tell you if you need to worry at least...   but most drugs I think have a 14 day withdrawal, some as high as 30...

x2 love ivermectin. life is so much easier when you dose just once.

Thanks, I guess I will go with the Ivermectin and give the Safeguard to my neighbors goats. But, since I have already given the Wazine recently, should I wait a while before using the Ivermectin. I am asking because I am going to pick up some BLRW pullets and cockerels tomorrow from a friend and am going to isolate them for a while, but would like to get everything on the same schedule. I will then have about 8 or 9 cockrels under 5 months but have someone who said they will take all of them.

Thanks, I guess I will go with the Ivermectin and give the Safeguard to my neighbors goats. But, since I have already given the Wazine recently, should I wait a while before using the Ivermectin. I am asking because I am going to pick up some BLRW pullets and cockerels tomorrow from a friend and am going to isolate them for a while, but would like to get everything on the same schedule. I will then have about 8 or 9 cockrels under 5 months but have someone who said they will take all of them.
up to you about treating them now, but ivermectin kills internal and external both... if it were me, I would treat everyone now, new birds when they come in, then just go to twice a year from there. I do it in oct/nov and april/may. any new birds coming in get treated immediately then quarantined for at least 2 weeks. if they have external parasites or are particularly filthy, they also get bathed. chicks under 2 months old coming in, or when I treat the flock, just get treated when I do the next go-round, unless I notice a problem.

this is all simply what I do... i'm not a vet, nor am I prescribing an off-label treatment. what you do with your own birds is entirely up to you.

I've been hatching BLRW for a few years now. I've probably hatched close to 1000 if not more... I've never found a good way to sex my wyandottes at all. I've tried feather sexing and it didn't work at all. So unless the seller can vent sex I'm sure you have a straight run. So you should hopefully end up with 50/50 hens and roosters. I sell all my chicks this way and ALWAYS make it clear to my customers that it is a straight run. Good Luck with them!
The two I bought were one day old. The guy told me, when I asked if there was any way to tell what sex they were, that the lighter color stripe on their backs meant they were girls. He pulled out another o e that was much darker and said see, this is a boy.

Here's what I got :
Age unknown. Don't know if they are from same hatch or not. Have had them for over a month now.
This one I know for sure is a pullet. Makes the cutest honking noise.

Sigh...I think this is a boy. I know, I know more comb and wattles then the obvious pullet but again don't know if exactly same age. There are rounded saddle feathers but on very top of back there are what appear to be pointed feathers but...oh geez, denial talking here....could be damaged feathers.

So, based on the pictures I posted are they BLRW? Now I. Doubting everything. Would a chick with dark coloring have better color contrast when mature? Where would be a reputable breeder to get chicks from?
Thanks for all the advice and truths...as hard as it is to hear.

Back
Top Bottom