Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Here's what I got :
Age unknown. Don't know if they are from same hatch or not. Have had them for over a month now.
This one I know for sure is a pullet. Makes the cutest honking noise.

Sigh...I think this is a boy. I know, I know more comb and wattles then the obvious pullet but again don't know if exactly same age. There are rounded saddle feathers but on very top of back there are what appear to be pointed feathers but...oh geez, denial talking here....could be damaged feathers.
I would agree the second pic is a roo... but I would say they are both gold laces not reds. they just happen to have blue/splash lacing... reds can't be any kind of gold/orange color.

I would agree the second pic is a roo...  but I would say they are both gold laces not reds. they just happen to have blue/splash lacing...  reds can't be any kind of gold/orange color.

Well...my birchen 'dotte roo must be gender blind. LOL. Red or gold, I'll keep 'em. They are 'pets' anyways. Thanks for color correction. But...I don't get the lacing names....blue laced red looks how it sounds so why aren't they blue laced gold?? They aren't laced in the gold. So I need to mosey on over to the GLW thread, huh? All GLW I've seen are gold laced with black.
I couldn't find the genetics chart I see a lot of people refer to but if this 'blue laced gold' boy covers a black 'dotte hen, what are my offspring color possibilities?

So, based on the pictures I posted are they BLRW? Now I. Doubting everything. Would a chick with dark coloring have better color contrast when mature? Where would be a reputable breeder to get chicks from?
Thanks for all the advice and truths...as hard as it is to hear.
This is my opinion..

Your top bird is a nice looking glw. She is a keeper and her lacing can be corrected with the correct male. She has nice conformation starting and it will improve even more with age. Your bottom bird is not breeder quality and should not be used for breeding at all. You should invest in a nice male for your girl even if it is just for pets. Many people on here can send you a nice boy. Max has several I am sure, I have a few. You can PM me and I can give names. You can also contact people off of the BLRW sight. Foley has auctions on nice pairs once a month too.

This is my opinion..

Your top bird is a nice looking glw. She is a keeper and her lacing can be corrected with the correct male. She has nice conformation starting and it will improve even more with age. Your bottom bird is not breeder quality and should not be used for breeding at all. You should invest in a nice male for your girl even if it is just for pets. Many people on here can send you a nice boy. Max has several I am sure, I have a few. You can PM me and I can give names. You can also contact people off of the BLRW sight. Foley has auctions on nice pairs once a month too.

Delisha, curious if this reply was meant for me?

I would agree the second pic is a roo...  but I would say they are both gold laces not reds. they just happen to have blue/splash lacing...  reds can't be any kind of gold/orange color.

Well...my birchen 'dotte roo must be gender blind. LOL. Red or gold, I'll keep 'em. They are 'pets' anyways. Thanks for color correction. But...I don't get the lacing names....blue laced red looks how it sounds so why aren't they blue laced gold?? They aren't laced in the gold. So I need to mosey on over to the GLW thread, huh? All GLW I've seen are gold laced with black.
I couldn't find the genetics chart I see a lot of people refer to but if this 'blue laced gold' boy covers a black 'dotte hen, what are my offspring color possibilities?

gold laced are NOT LACED IN GOLD. The name Gold laced means the feather is GOLD then LACED in black. Blue Laced Reds are Red feathers laced with Blue. BLRW are NOT the same as a gold. BLRW have a gene to make them RED not GOLD. I to do not understand the name inconsistency.

If you cross a laced bird with a solid bird you might get some partially laced chicks and some solid. that is just a guess. I have project going with a cartridge. I crosses him with solid birds only got solid chicks. when I crossed those chicks back to cartridge I am getting a mix of partridge and solid chicks. really didn't expect solid chicks.....getting about half solid chicks. I am going to keep some solid pullet chicks and try them with the partridge next time.

this is not a wyandotte project.

Last edited:
Quote: blue laced red is an actual variety that's being worked on and offered to APA for acceptance. blue laced gold isn't even a project variety that I know of and there's no concerted effort to getting the apa to accept it as such. so basically it's an offshoot of someone's blr project that didn't meet their standards. many used golds to get the lacing and type better in the blue laced reds initially, but it's just an offshoot. not something someone's doing specifically FOR the color variety. gold laced is supposed to have black lacing. the same with silver laced. the only time the lacing color is mentioned is in the blrw (some have blue black or splash lacing, many refer to the actual color, tho all fall under the blue laced red category).

gold laced are NOT LACED IN GOLD. The name Gold laced means the feather is GOLD then LACED in black. Blue Laced Reds are Red feathers laced with Blue. BLRW are NOT the same as a gold. BLRW have a gene to make them RED not GOLD. I to do not understand the name inconsistency.

If you cross a laced bird with a solid bird you might get some partially laced chicks and some solid. that is just a guess. I have project going with a cartridge. I crosses him with solid birds only got solid chicks. when I crossed those chicks back to cartridge I am getting a mix of partridge and solid chicks. really didn't expect solid chicks.....getting about half solid chicks. I am going to keep some solid pullet chicks and try them with the partridge next time.

this is not a wyandotte project.

I know GLW are not laced with the gold. When I said I only see them laced in black I meant I probably don't belong there either with them.

And if the other posting about should never be used to breed was meant for me (even if they are pets (edible pets) that won't leave the property)....I'll see how he turns out. Might have him caponized or eat him or let him be.

blue laced red is an actual variety that's being worked on and offered to APA for acceptance. blue laced gold isn't even a project variety that I know of and there's no concerted effort to getting the apa to accept it as such.  so basically it's an offshoot of someone's blr project that didn't meet their standards.   many used golds to get the lacing and type better in the blue laced reds initially, but it's just an offshoot. not something someone's doing specifically FOR the color variety.  gold laced is supposed to have black lacing. the same with silver laced. the only time the lacing color is mentioned is in the blrw (some have blue black or splash lacing, many refer to the actual color, tho all fall under the blue laced red category).

I'll be sure to never refer to them as BLRW since they are not the appropriate mahogany. I'll join again should I get some real red ones. Other that I'll just enjoy what I got now. Thanks for the opinions and info.

Here's what I got :
Age unknown. Don't know if they are from same hatch or not. Have had them for over a month now.
This one I know for sure is a pullet. Makes the cutest honking noise.

Sigh...I think this is a boy. I know, I know more comb and wattles then the obvious pullet but again don't know if exactly same age. There are rounded saddle feathers but on very top of back there are what appear to be pointed feathers but...oh geez, denial talking here....could be damaged feathers.

Those are both BLRW the top bird has black lacing in the front but I see blue lacing in the wings and tail. Both are blue laced red wyandottes. I would call them pet quality and you should get tasty eggs from the hen :) The bottom is most definitely a rooster. Good luck with them!!

Those are both BLRW the top bird has black lacing in the front but I see blue lacing in the wings and tail. Both are blue laced red wyandottes. I would call them pet quality and you should get tasty eggs from the hen :) The bottom is most definitely a rooster. Good luck with them!!
2x

Back
Top Bottom