Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

That is adorable.
smile.png

None of my Blrw have gone broody... Yet. They are about 1.5 years old. They have cut down on laying in this heat and humidity though.
if they haven't gone broody yet, they may not... mine all went broody within a month or so of starting to lay (the first time).

OK I have been reading this thread for a long tine now. I have tried to learn as much as I could before I piped in. I want to get a few opinions on two Roos I an thinking of keeping.
The first is either a real light Blue or a splash. I have read that body structure is #1 in importance. so I give you (Phoenix)
He is WIDE and Stout.

And (Boba Fett)

Be brutally Honest you will not get any hurt feelings from me. (Maybe some sadness) but no hurt feelings. LOL

aww i didnt know they were a broody prone type
My only grown BLRW went broody this year. She's 3 this summer, I only got her a year ago so she may have gone broody with her old family too, but she's a great momma!!!
pullets from the picture..I need more visual for saddle feathers to be sure.
I don't have these girls so that's the best picture I have, but we were pretty sure they were both pullets too. I traded her for the two young cockerels - she can't have roosters. May breed with her girls and try another batch of eggs in the spring if none of my 4 turn out to be girls lol.
(edit - had to add a pic hehe)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for taking the time to post the correct amount of pictures and views. Well done.
OK I have been reading this thread for a long tine now. I have tried to learn as much as I could before I piped in. I want to get a few opinions on two Roos I an thinking of keeping.
The first is either a real light Blue or a splash. I have read that body structure is #1 in importance. so I give you (Phoenix)
He is WIDE and Stout.

Nice wattles and ears. Nice arch of neck

nice yellow legs. This bird needs more time. He does not have depth of chest yet. top line too flat.

Nice width of chest, shoulder look flat, rear is too narrow. Tail feathers should be wider.

And (Boba Fett)Width of leg is too narrow. It should be wide enough to fit your hand. Nice hocks.

Nice wattles, Nice chest developing. Good leg color. Nice wide tail feathers. Top line too flat

leg too close together. Nice lacing.

Beautiful wing placement

Wider rear than first bird, gives a rounder appearance. This bird might be smaller than first bird, but I am talking about finding a bird close to the SOP in proportion.

Nice wide tent , good wing placement

Be brutally Honest you will not get any hurt feelings from me. (Maybe some sadness) but no hurt feelings. LOL
They both have good points. I personally would not use bird one. Bird two has less faults. (We are talking just structure). If we add color, bird one is too orange too. You have many splash girls. You might consider using a black male. It will help keep the nice red you have on the girls. The splash on them(girls) will keep the lacing nice and fine when breeding to the black. (Do I see a black in some of the pictures?)

Thank you so much for your input, I forgot to mention their hatch date was 7 April. I also did not want to seen to greedy with my first post here. I will get some pick of others today.

You might consider using a black male. It will help keep the nice red you have on the girls. The splash on them(girls) will keep the lacing nice and fine when breeding to the black. (Do I see a black in some of the pictures?)
do you mean a black black? or a black laced? because I think I saw a (solid) black and also a (black laced) gold laced (pullet?) in the pic too...

Quote: For clarification, the black male I was referring to is in picture number 6 I believe, behind the bird 2 posted, and I did not see any solid black variety. I did not see any black gold laced males either. The black I am referring to is BLRW. It comes in blue, black, and splash. They are laced in mahogany red. This is a BLRW thread, I should not have assumed others would know this and been clear. Again i apologize.

Quote: For clarification, the black male I was referring to is in picture number 6 I believe, behind the bird 2 posted, and I did not see any solid black variety. I did not see any black gold laced males either. The black I am referring to is BLRW. It comes in blue, black, and splash. They are laced in mahogany red. This is a BLRW thread, I should not have assumed others would know this and been clear. Again i apologize.
I looked closer, the black I saw was in the last pic, and appears to be a naked neck... LOL and the gold laced was a pullet (the pic after the one with the black(?) laced you mentioned - which I hadn't noticed before).

Back
Top Bottom