Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Quote: I got her from cjwaldon she make the first cross. I think she used a splash pullet with a slw roo. I would think if you did the other way around they would be sex links right?
other way around, you'd have red pullets and split roos. this way you've got silver pullets and split roos... your choice. either way they're still sexable IMO. red roo silver hen, your pullets will be darker than cockerels, silver roo over red hen your pullets will be lighter.

and I agree, put her with the best (active) silver laced you can get and he'll help clean up her lacing, and keep only the blues to use for breeding.
X2..
Random question
I know it was discussed.on here before, just can't find it, what is the formula( couldn't think of the right word lol) for getting the.different colors of blrw?
Please and thank you
smile.png
Not sure what you mean. unless it is this:
I hope I am right

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Splash X Black = 100% Blue
Black X Black = 100% Black
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash

A few of you asked me to keep posting updates as the initial pattern on these chicks was unusual. There was some concern they wouldn't end up laced. There were also predicted to be Roos so... :)

Pullet one-not my favorite-the balance of red and blue is out of whack to me. I also think she has split wing and feel like she is too "fluffy" over her back,but maybe she's still in the ugly stage.
E8BFE023-31A2-4465-A318-AA611FA2D7BC-2396-000001177648E43E.jpg

I much prefer this pullet though she is being slow to lace. I think she is nicer all around.
A8004F61-C002-44CC-ABB8-6F4E84E043B1-2396-00000117685D16F7.jpg

6B3758C2-A1B2-403D-AF51-785E0CD175CB-2396-000001176D6058A1.jpg

X2..
I hope I am right

That looks right delisha

Random question
I know it was discussed.on here before, just can't find it, what is the formula( couldn't think of the right word lol) for getting the.different colors of blrw?
Please and thank you
smile.png
X2..
I hope I am right

yes that is the formula for JUST the blue gene...

if you're asking 'what makes a blrw' that's a bit more complicated...
first you have mahogany (Mh) and blue (black - bl+/bl+, blue - Bl/bl+, splash - Bl/Bl), then there are 3 separate mutations that make up lacing. Pg (pattern gene), Co (Columbian) and Ml (melanizing). not to mention the type that MUST also be present for it to be a Wyandotte...

I know it's a repeat for some, but bears repeating IMO. here's a post I did a while back that lays it all out.

Quote (and yes, i'm quoting myself LOL):
Originally Posted by ki4got
I've seen so many questions about peoples' birds, pics, etc...
first, as far as color is concerned, blue laced red Wyandottes are just that... they are blue (but can also be black or splash, since blue does not breed true), they are laced (a complete NARROW band of blue/black/splash around the center color), and they are RED. In this case, red is not just your 'run of the mill' red like you'd see in a black breasted red whatever, but the deep dark mahogany red seen in the old heritage type Rhode Island Reds...
this breed has no place for anything resembling gold, copper or fire-engine red. there is also no place for poor or incomplete lacing, and birds that have wide lacing will not breed true either. over all, the blue is the easiest part to get right on this breed. and also the most insignificant aspect of what makes a bird a BLRW.
and honestly, getting the color right is probably the easiest part of breeding GOOD blrw... it's the type that seems to be lacking 9 times out of 10, IMO... or just flat out ignored in some cases I think. but without type, all you have is a pretty chicken. not a Wyandotte.
so a brief refresher from past discussions regarding Wyandotte type...

One of the most commonly misunderstood (or even flat out ignored) is the proper profile a Wyandotte should have.

The following is from an old text regarding the Wyandotte standards... useful for seeing right and wrong as far as overall body shape (ie, type)

the genetics behind lacing (good and bad):

Pg is the pattern gene, Ml is the melanizing gene, Co is the Columbian gene. Each one is dominant over the wild type (shown with a +). If all 3 mutations are not homozygous (2 copies of the mutation present) then the appearance of the lacing is changed.

the black tip mentioned above - AKA spangling - can be seen in the image below, including proper and improper feather markings in a laced bird.

Please and thank you :) [/quote]
I hope I am right

[/quote]

If a Golden Lace pullet is bred with a Black Lace what color would you get? What color if the GL pullet is bred with BLR?

Back
Top Bottom