Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I got a blue by accident too….was hatched from some BLRW eggs we bought at a show. Her leg color is off (sposed to be yellow, right?) Anyway, here she is, I kept her as I really have a soft spot for blue birds. The blue bird to the right, behind her is one of my blue orpingtons.

I'm liking this dark blue girl (not the comb so much), she's easy on the eye. Black Orp in the background.

This girl's a bit flighty, and doesn't have the best type. Her legs could be a bit more yellow too, anyone know what the deal is with the slate coloring running up the front of her shanks and tops of her toes? Is this a DQ?, I think she was caught at an odd angle in the pic, her right leg is not normally bent like that.

A few off these had slate shanks to begin with, but they have all turned a nice yellow.

I'm liking this dark blue girl (not the comb so much), she's easy on the eye. Black Orp in the background.

This girl's a bit flighty, and doesn't have the best type. Her legs could be a bit more yellow too, anyone know what the deal is with the slate coloring running up the front of her shanks and tops of her toes? Is this a DQ?, I think she was caught at an odd angle in the pic, her right leg is not normally bent like that.
might be some cross in her back ground. It can be bred out eventually. I have one girl with just a slight tinge you seen when she was a baby.

These are my aunts. She wants to give me a roo. I am wanting to breed BLRW and play around with it a bit. Would it be good or bad to take one? What would I get breeding a plane blue roo to a splash or blue lace?

Quote: a blue is blue (B) and extended black (eB). a blue laced red (or splash) is blue (B), Mahogany (Mh) melanizing (Ml), Columbian (Co) pattern gene (Pg) and partridge (eb) so combining those two, you'll gat a mishmash of all of that. again nothing really super predictable as far as color results because some mutations may be hiding as recessives or hidden by the black/blue.

and that's only IF the laced parent had a complete set of lacing genes (Ml, Co, Pg). if any of them were heterozygous, then the offspring may be missing one or more mutations required for lacing entirely...

so basically the offspring might be pretty egg layers, but they wouldn't likely be anything someone would want for breeding, and they wouldn't be showable either.

Last edited:
a blue is blue (B) and extended black (eB). a blue laced red (or splash) is blue (B), Mahogany (Mh) melanizing (Ml), Columbian (Co) pattern gene (Pg) and partridge (eb) so combining those two, you'll gat a mishmash of all of that. again nothing really super predictable as far as color results because some mutations may be hiding as recessives or hidden by the black/blue.

and that's only IF the laced parent had a complete set of lacing genes (Ml, Co, Pg). if any of them were heterozygous, then the offspring may be missing one or more mutations required for lacing entirely...

so basically the offspring might be pretty egg layers, but they wouldn't likely be anything someone would want for breeding, and they wouldn't be showable either.

a blue is blue (B) and extended black (eB). a blue laced red (or splash) is blue (B), Mahogany (Mh) melanizing (Ml), Columbian (Co) pattern gene (Pg) and partridge (eb) so combining those two, you'll gat a mishmash of all of that. again nothing really super predictable as far as color results because some mutations may be hiding as recessives or hidden by the black/blue.

I'm amazed at how you know so much with the breeding genes and love it when you post the techinical side of it! I have bred my BLRW roo with my Blue and Black dottes and got only Blue and Blacks so I sold all of them and am just going with the BLRW. I didn't do it entirely on purpose, I just had all my dottes in the same coop and was my first time hatching eggs this year so those were the eggs I was practicing with. I have the incubating down pat now for next year.

Back
Top Bottom