Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Your little girl might have an inverted comb..it is a DQ if she does.
if you don't already have excellent breeding stock to work with, combs are the last thing I cull for... work on size/type first, get the color right, then worry about fine tuning things like combs...

Okay, thanks. I've never heard of an inverted comb before... would that breed on to her chicks or is it an anomaly?

ki4got, you were the main person I was hoping would take a look at the lacing, mostly the roo without very defined lace on the breast (comparatively).

I know their feathers will molt several times before their final adult feathers come in, but could this be an indication of anything genetic? IE if I use that as my breeder.... would he pass on these lacing genes?

Edit: this is my first generation of BLRWs and I am planning to breed them in the next year+. I have another batch of BLRWs in the incubator too.

Last edited:
Quote: I am just giving information....

The Op asked about combs..I answered her with information about the comb. An inverted comb and leaders is a DQ. Unless that has changed. Other comb issues that are not DQ's is not a problem and can be worked on. No perfect comb and only 5 pts.

I do not think she was asking about culling, breeding or anything else unless I missed it. If she was asking about breeding..i would tell her not to breed her if she had an inverted comb. An inverted comb is hereditary..just like cross beak..it stays in your lines and can pop up an wag at you at any time. Yes.... this is the beginning of a breeding program..it is time to start culling and not breeding birds that are not close to the SOP or type for Wyandotte. Color can be worked on. The rest is already established in Wyandottes...the whole wheel does not need to be reinvented..just the color.

If you have information contrary to a comb inversion not being a DQ I would be most appreciative of the information, I would love to learn more things about what is going on with the BLRW. I had a pullet DQ for an inverted comb and it was so tiny it was not visible till the Judge pointed it out...and I asked the Judge. He said never breed an inverted comb or a comb with leaders..ever. I might have misinformation..not all Judges are knowledgeable.
hu.gif
I sure hope its a DQ since I already ate her..she was delicious.

He said never breed an inverted comb or a comb with leaders..ever.

Thank you so much for all the great information!! I am not planning to show them, but I DO want them to adhere to breed standards so they could be shown. I have gone to great lengths to get good genetics, so it's worth breeding properly from here on out. I am planning to breed these as my first generation of BLRWs. They are foley/paul lines. I have more eggs in the incubator due in 3 days, hoping for more girls.

What is a comb with leaders? any pics?

Do you have any pictures of your girl with an inverted comb? I am interested in ANY photos of inverted or combs with leaders.. I am googling it too...

Last edited:
The SOP talks about leaders and inverted combs too..it is a great book to purchase and worth its weight in gold for information.

you might think me daft.. but what does The SOP stand for? standard... breed.. something something I'm guessing? LOL sorry!!!

I found this...

http://archive.org/stream/cu31924003096413‎
Internet Archive BookReader - The Wyandotte standard and breed book; a complete description of all varieties of Wyandottes,
is it what you mean by chance?

An inverted comb looks like a normal comb with an inverted spot..it look like if you squeezed it a little or put pressure on it..the dot would pop out where it is supposed to.

http://www.wyandottebreedersofamerica.net/wyandottestandard.htm

afb119.jpg
see that small dot at the back of the leader? That is an inverted comb..a DQ..

afb118.jpg
this bird does not have any leaders and is also a DQ
comb21.jpg
all are not my birds and borrowed off the web
this comb has extra leaders off the the side..

comb31.jpg
hmm..not sure about this..the dent is not in the center so it might be OK..

comb6.jpg
a darn nice comb..I like it..should get a little more bumps as she matures..

yikes
Wyandottes_today120412_008b.jpg

Wyandottes_today120412_002d.jpg

Quote:
Internet Archive BookReader - The Wyandotte standard and breed book; a complete description of all varieties of Wyandottes,
is it what you mean by chance?
I am delighted that you care about the breed and want to seriously do it the correct way..good poultry stewardship starts right at the beginning..good for you!!
The SOP stands for..:Standard of Perfection ..it covers all domestic poultry accepted to the APA.
The ABA is Bantams.

Standard Of Perfection can be purchased right at the APA store (American Poultry Association).
Please join the APA and use the resources available for members after joining. They have a ton of information, classes, and knowledge. Going to APA and ABA supported shows can give you a ton of fun, education, and good friends!! Breeders and people who show poultry share so much knowledge..they are a remarkable group of people.
http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/store.htm

2 of my newest BLRW chicks, approx 4 weeks old. Hoping they are girls but they are a little young for me to really tell yet.

Back
Top Bottom