Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I'm pretty new here, I've enjoyed reading back since the first of the year. Nice birds, nice folks. I have a beautiful 10 B/B/S blue Wyandotte babies from PeakyBeaky. I was hoping to find a few more SQ potential hatching eggs or chicks, but can't come up with any other breeders so far.

Great forum!

Connie

I have an opportunity to get a BLRW Splash Roo for just $10...They are so hard to find around here... He is a splash correct? And am I right in thinking that "Spalsh" refers to the tone of the blue/gray? He's a splash because it's light blue? Or does it relate to his lacing, or both? I've seen some other breeds that have a splash version and they look polka dotted....

If I breed him with my GLW hen, will I get a darker gray laced? Or loose the lacing? Pic of my hen too...she's still young...

I have an opportunity to get a BLRW Splash Roo for just $10...They are so hard to find around here... He is a splash correct? And am I right in thinking that "Spalsh" refers to the tone of the blue/gray? He's a splash because it's light blue? Or does it relate to his lacing, or both? I've seen some other breeds that have a splash version and they look polka dotted....

If I breed him with my GLW hen, will I get a darker gray laced? Or loose the lacing? Pic of my hen too...she's still young...

personally, if you want to work with blrw, I'd start with birds of good type first and foremost... no offense but your hen looks like a hatchery bird (in other words, lacks Wyandotte type) and the splash roo, while he's got nice dark red, does not have the type either, and you also don't usually want pale hackles in the roos, but nice dark hackles. the lighter hackles tend to lead to washed out looking offspring. but breeding to a gold laced, you're MOST likely toget more gold laced (in blue). which is pretty, but again they're both lacking the type, so IMO not worth adding to a serious breeding program... sorry.

here's an article I wrote about what a BLRW SHOULD be...
http://kmvfarm.com/kmv/page.php?10

Thank you for the info. I know neither of them are show birds, and I'm not going for that...yet!....but I want start "playing around" with breeding on less expensive birds and then invest in higher quality when I've got it down. I just finally got my pen dog proof and hens laying just a month ago! First little chickadees for me....

I really love the science and genetics behind it all though. I'm a genealogy and math buff and if you add cute little chickens to it I'm hooked!

I'm collecting all the info I can on the right type of Wyandottes, so thanks so much for the article!! I'll start looking out for those. I'm trying to get some chicks from Ruth Caron in Martindale who breeds them as well. They look like good stock...

Thanks!!

Thank you for the info.  I know neither of them are show birds, and I'm not going for that...yet!....but I want start "playing around" with breeding on less expensive birds and then invest in higher quality when I've got it down.  I just finally got my pen dog proof and hens laying just a month ago!  First little chickadees for me....

I really love the science and genetics behind it all though.  I'm a genealogy and math buff and if you add cute little chickens to it I'm hooked!

I'm collecting all the info I can on the right type of Wyandottes, so thanks so much for the article!!  I'll start looking out for those.  I'm trying to get some chicks from Ruth Caron in Martindale who breeds them as well.  They look like good stock...

Thanks!!

Ruth has very nice stock

Thank you for the info. I know neither of them are show birds, and I'm not going for that...yet!....but I want start "playing around" with breeding on less expensive birds and then invest in higher quality when I've got it down. I just finally got my pen dog proof and hens laying just a month ago! First little chickadees for me....

I really love the science and genetics behind it all though. I'm a genealogy and math buff and if you add cute little chickens to it I'm hooked!

I'm collecting all the info I can on the right type of Wyandottes, so thanks so much for the article!! I'll start looking out for those. I'm trying to get some chicks from Ruth Caron in Martindale who breeds them as well. They look like good stock...

Thanks!!
I used to feel the same way about just enjoying the genetics, but the math of it says there will be chickens that you don't want, and having a good plan is important. I didn't realize how addicting hatching can be, but there is nothing addicting about what to do with unwanted roosters, hens past production, and overcrowded coops. I have really come to appreciate the advice to wait and breed the best stock possible.

unfortunately, my husband is just waiting for the day when I have roosters I can't re-home =(
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom