Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I want to get some of these birds. Where can I order the best quality blr wyandottes from. I was planing on getting some from unionhillranch.com but want some other options. thanks

from any dedicated breeder, IMO, NOT a hatchery...

I browse people's signatures when they post on here, personally, to see if they have any available or a website, etc.

I am wanting to get 1 or 2 of these beauties for my flock. I'm not planning on breeding or showing, just for egg laying. This breed just looks so cool! Seems there are various shades of BLRWs. I think I like the lighter looking ones best. Any tips on picking a good chick in regards to how it will turn out when it feathers? Or is there really no way to tell?

I am wanting to get 1 or 2 of these beauties for my flock. I'm not planning on breeding or showing, just for egg laying. This breed just looks so cool! Seems there are various shades of BLRWs. I think I like the lighter looking ones best. Any tips on picking a good chick in regards to how it will turn out when it feathers? Or is there really no way to tell?

here's a pic of what the chicks look like when they're little so you can identify black/blue/splash :) each line will be different though, and if they're from a hatchery all bets are off since they might not look like the chicks in the picture... but if you are going for splash, pick out the lightest chicks they have :)

here's a pic of what the chicks look like when they're little so you can identify black/blue/splash :) each line will be different though, and if they're from a hatchery all bets are off since they might not look like the chicks in the picture... but if you are going for splash, pick out the lightest chicks they have :)
Perfect! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Any tips for letting a broody set some eggs for the first time?
I like to use large totes..

I cut a hole in the end leaving a lip so chicks can't fall out.(6 inches) They have to be old enough to hop over the lip. (3-5 days) I fill it with bedding and place the broody with her old nest right on top of the new bedding to the back of the tote. I leave the front empty for water and feed after chicks hatch.

New pullets like to hear and be near her buddies so I place the tote in the coop but protected from all visitors. All the other hens will come and lay eggs in the new nest and that is a pain so I keep them out. The mix up and back and forth causes confusion and the broody will not return to the correct nest. After a few times I do not bother with keeping them seperated. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom