Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Thanks! Those are gorgeous birds. I hope to eventually breed my own line of them.
That sounds like a fun project, can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Thank you yours look cute as well

mine are outside today, they found a corner of the yard they like lol
Awesome! I have been taking mine outside on the days it doesn't rain. It's about 50-60F here during the days, 40F at night. what's the temps there in TX?

I have introduced them to the run & coop, it's divided in half from the big chickens. the big chickens aren't really sure what to do about them. I am waiting for the nights to get a little warmer, or the chicks to get a little more feathers (maybe at 6wks) to put them out at night. for now it's just days.

which is REALLY fun to have to wrangle 16 chicks and put them in a plastic tote and carry them up/down the hill that is my backyard at bedtime....
gig.gif

Farmer Viola

The temps down here were in the 80s this past week. Today we are in the mid 60s but it looks like the lows wont work for em. I keep inside at night and out when I'm out there with them. I lost some to a hawk last year. Mine are all pretty much feathered out. As far as the flock my hens are the only ones that peck at them, my roosters don't mind them. They stay close to the chicks and sound the alarm when a dove or crow fly by, so I think they're just keeping an eye out for them. The best part is i have a helper (my jack russell terrier) he helps me round them up.

Farmer Viola

The temps down here were in the 80s this past week. Today we are in the mid 60s but it looks like the lows wont work for em. I keep inside at night and out when I'm out there with them. I lost some to a hawk last year. Mine are all pretty much feathered out. As far as the flock my hens are the only ones that peck at them, my roosters don't mind them. They stay close to the chicks and sound the alarm when a dove or crow fly by, so I think they're just keeping an eye out for them. The best part is i have a helper (my jack russell terrier) he helps me round them up.

Same here, I think my roo sees them more as future prospects for his harem and the hens see them as more competition for food.

Opinions please...I hatched out 3 BLRW bantams from unclebeesbirds. Are these blue or black? I saw the photo of each side by side earlier in this thread, but the second one of mine is almost solid black
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Farmer Viola

partial quote << The best part is i have a helper (my jack russell terrier) he helps me round them up.>>
I would never have thought jack russell's would be safe to have around chickens...we had jack russells for many years, and did not consider having chickens because the dogs were so good at catching anything possible (from lizards to gophers to rats to squirrels). How did you accomplish that?

I just have a question or two. I'm new to the breeding for certain colors. I bought a dozen hatching eggs. BLRSW roo over GLW hen. Also have an extra 6 of that roo over a black australop. What are the odds on my dozen?

I just have a question or two. I'm new to the breeding for certain colors. I bought a dozen hatching eggs. BLRSW roo over GLW hen. Also have an extra 6 of that roo over a black australop. What are the odds on my dozen?
Well.... the BLRW x GLW would be mutts. My guess is you would get some BLRW but most would be Golden.... looking. As for the australorp those would be mostly black but some might be laced just depends on the genes in the australorp.

LOVE this girl...

I love her lacing.

Speaking of lacing, after our BLRW molted in fall their lacing hasn't come back as crisp and clean as it was before the molt. One still has her crisp lacing, one has reasonable lacing still, and two have... not messy looking lacing, but it's not as crisp as it was. Has anyone else had this with their BLRW?

Back
Top Bottom