Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I love her lacing.

Speaking of lacing, after our BLRW molted in fall their lacing hasn't come back as crisp and clean as it was before the molt. One still has her crisp lacing, one has reasonable lacing still, and two have... not messy looking lacing, but it's not as crisp as it was. Has anyone else had this with their BLRW?
I had one come back penciled..... they do change. I have not seen it too much in mine.

I love her lacing.

Speaking of lacing, after our BLRW molted in fall their lacing hasn't come back as crisp and clean as it was before the molt. One still has her crisp lacing, one has reasonable lacing still, and two have... not messy looking lacing, but it's not as crisp as it was. Has anyone else had this with their BLRW?

I had one come back penciled..... they do change.  I have not seen it too much in mine.

I had to move a hen to the layer flock after her molt. She was a beautiful hen - great lacing and mahogany coloring. After the molt she had very little lacing (very mossy) and her coloring completely changed. Well, see for yourself below. :(. Keep in mind that this wasn't a bird I selected myself and just missed a sign of future problems. This is a bird I obtained directly from Jerry Foley and she was lovely at 6 months. Someone mentioned to me in a prior post that some old timers and long time breeders wait until after the first hard molt to select birds for a breeding program. This makes sense.

My first 2 BLRW hatched! Looks like their either a dark blue or black laced anyone have opinions or aren't they dry enough? Combs look good so far and beaks also. This is very exciting.

I would never have thought jack russell's would be safe to have around chickens...we had jack russells for many years, and did not consider having chickens because the dogs were so good at catching anything possible (from lizards to gophers to rats to squirrels).  How did you accomplish that? 

Telly has been around them since he was a pup. He is now 1yr old and full of energy. I had to keep an eye on him when we were in the backyard with the chickens. Jack Russell Terriers are very smart. I think hearing no enough times he stop minding them. Now the chickens try to chase him around lol

Telly has been around them since he was a pup. He is now 1yr old and full of energy. I had to keep an eye on him when we were in the backyard with the chickens. Jack Russell Terriers are very smart. I think hearing no enough times he stop minding them. Now the chickens try to chase him around lol
smart, yes, Stubborn too!
Thanks for your story.

I think I got a splash, the other light one is an EE( Americauna x BLRW roo) It wont stay in it's area, keeps coming to visit the BLRW, good thing I banded their legs it would be quite hard to tell the 2 apart.

Last edited:

You and Telly must have a good relationship. Any dog can be trained to respect . I have a German shepherd and a ridgeback and my visitors to the farm are constantly amazed by the chickens walking right by them unharmed. It hasn't always been the case , but a bit of ' tough love ' soon sorted them out.

Back
Top Bottom