Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

OMG! Of course I remember those handsome chicks! wow, I have to say I am extremely surprised you found two pullets in the mix?! If I remember right they were all pretty red in the face, that's very cool. I always find myself looking back at photos to see what I can see now vs then.

I also notice that the females feather faster than the males, but not always. sometimes there are fast feathering males that throw everything off. I also look at the width of their comb. but none of this is an exact science, just things I'm trying to notice as I raise them, maybe in a few years it will become clear to me
wink.png

those splash chickens sure are beautiful to look at! I love them. :) Are you looking for critiques toward the SOP or what kind of feedback?

I was convinced myself that the were all roosters. LOL these chicks were sure a surprise and not in the good kind. I know nothing of breed standard and was just wondering how my rooster would compare to a good one that you kept for breeding. To my eye he looks pretty handsome but I'm sure there are tons of flaws as far as a breeder goes. I have another rooster that I like even better but this one I'm keeping is actually my friend and sings me love songs at the door.
personality goes a long way, especially if you 2 trust each other and he's nice with the ladies.
I am a total novice, I'm here for advice too! I hope someone experienced tells you more about your boys. here is just what I see..

are you going to breed splash x splash? because I think that is not recommended, but I'm not certain as to why. I believe that it has to do with lacing and feather quality. I know that black blrw are used to bring back in good crisp feathering, so I think splash is almost the opposite; creates tattered feathers. Y/N?
splash x black would give you 100% blue chicks!
splash x blue = 50/50 blue/splash

Like my cockerel, I think he is too shallow in the chest (not round enough) but maybe he can grow into it. maybe not. I am not sure about how to tell this one without just waiting longer.

the red on his chest looks a little orangey, but you are right he is less copper in the saddle and hackles than that boy in the background.. I wish I could zoom in on the pics, they wont open for some reason..

I think he looks really full in the neck area, moreso than my guy. I posted pics recently of him.
I think his tail angle is higher too, which is a good thing. erm.. that's all I got!

EDIT:
here are links to full size pics, this helped a lot
http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/6/64/645827d8_jerry1.jpeg
http://cdn.backyardchickens.com/3/31/31ed18b5_jerry2.jpeg
even though the lacing on jerry's chest is orange, the red on his wings is mahogany! I would be interested to see if he gets darker over time.

oh, and his legs look very wide, wider than Donatello's - unless it is the camera angle

Last edited:
Hi Farmer Viola,
DD took our blew too to fair this year. He has a triple leader and was DQ'd. When he moved on to the pen of 3 layers we took just for fun he checked the exhibitor name and chuckled. He knew who dad was with 1 glance. We only have them for yard candy and the occasional hatch for locals that want pets. He is good mannered and pretty so DH let's him stay.

OK, I have a BLRW splash roo that is right at a year old.  I got him a month and half ago and last week hatched a couple of eggs he fathered.  Some were not fertile though...and now none are fertile...and he doesn't seem to be interested in the ladies much....  What could be the problem?  The girls seem to like him and follow him around....  Do I need soft music and candles or what?

Mine did that for a while I think they just need some practice with the ladies lol

Hi Farmer Viola,
DD took our blew too to fair this year. He has a triple leader and was DQ'd. When he moved on to the pen of 3 layers we took just for fun he checked the exhibitor name and chuckled. He knew who dad was with 1 glance. We only have them for yard candy and the occasional hatch for locals that want pets. He is good mannered and pretty so DH let's him stay.
Oh wow!! Thanks for sharing! he is handsome. how old is he in this pic?
I am re-reading the wyandotte manual now. I swear I thought it was a points thing, not straight dq, but I didn't read it very closely since I didn't know I had it.
I bet could put my chicks under a magnifying glass and find the triple leaders. that would sure make elimination round come early.

Quote: your 3 hens at the same show are the daughters of the triple leader cock?
did they have triple leaders as well? or what made it so obvious? :)

Ok from the wyandote standard, it's 1 point off for each extra leader. out of 8 comb points.

Last edited:
personality goes a long way, especially if you 2 trust each other and he's nice with the ladies.
I am a total novice, I'm here for advice too! I hope someone experienced tells you more about your boys. here is just what I see..

are you going to breed splash x splash? because I think that is not recommended, but I'm not certain as to why. I believe that it has to do with lacing and feather quality. I know that black blrw are used to bring back in good crisp feathering, so I think splash is almost the opposite; creates tattered feathers. Y/N?

Like my cockerel, I think he is too shallow in the chest (not round enough) but maybe he can grow into it. maybe not. I am not sure about how to tell this one without just waiting longer.

the red on his chest looks a little orangey, but you are right he is less copper in the saddle and hackles than that boy in the background.. I wish I could zoom in on the pics, they wont open for some reason..

I think he looks really full in the neck area, moreso than my guy. I posted pics recently of him.
I think his tail angle is higher too, which is a good thing. erm.. that's all I got!

EDIT:
even though the lacing on jerry's chest is orange, the red on his wings is mahogany! I would be interested to see if he gets darker over time.

oh, and his legs look very wide, wider than Donatello's - unless it is the camera angle

That was really helpful thanks! My other more blue and mahogany rooster sounds like he would do well. He's really round and very handsome but I don't want to think about keeping another one. I'm not planning on breeding I'm keeping a mixed flock. Thanks again.
well then by all means you should keep the one who has the nicest personality and greets you in the mornings :) he really is handsome to look at, too.

Quote:
I was convinced myself that the were all roosters. LOL these chicks were sure a surprise and not in the good kind. I know nothing of breed standard and was just wondering how my rooster would compare to a good one that you kept for breeding. To my eye he looks pretty handsome but I'm sure there are tons of flaws as far as a breeder goes. I have another rooster that I like even better but this one I'm keeping is actually my friend and sings me love songs at the door.

EDIT:

the primary reasoning against splash blrw breeding is because the splash also dilutes the red somewhat. so to keep a nice dark red and a good quality blue, you go blue to black or splash to black or blue to blue normally. that being said, all I have are 3 blue roos and 1 splash hen. LOL at least until more come along.

Back
Top Bottom