Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

The beginning of my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte adventure! I'm so excited!

Awe, nothing more adorable than fuzzy butts!

I'm pretty new to blr wyandottes. I bought some hatching eggs from someone local several months ago. Unfortunately, only 2 hatched and they both look like boys. They are 2 months old now. Sooner or later, I'm going to have to decide which (if either) I want to keep. Their "red" is a little light but the newer feathers coming in are much darker. I'll probably wait until they have all of their adult feathering before I make a decision. Meanwhile, I am curious about something. I have noticed in the photos that I've seen that the roosters seem to have solid colored saddle feathers. Is that normal? Are laced saddle feathers considered a fault? My light blue/ splash (I'm not quite sure which yet!) male seems to have more solid colored saddle feathers coming in, but the black one has lacing all over. Is this something that I should take in to consideration when deciding which to keep?
are you 100% sure the one with the lacing on the saddle is a he? both of my boys have solid feathers and at 8 weeks I still wasnt certain on boys/girls yet... do you have pictures? (we love pictures!! ;) )

well I've got 2 babies from DMRippy under a broody and 6 eggs in the incubator with 100% developing! (knock on wood!)

WOW... I hoped express shipping with chicks would help with hatchability but didn't expect 100%.
fl.gif
I have fertility like that all the time at the farm.

OK experts.... I have been hatching super dark chicks. But my last hatch they looked a little different. Not bad but different. they have more of the chipmunk striping than I have been seeing. Any opinions? My guess is a new layer but everyone is REALLY DARK in that pen.

Most of my chicks look like the one on the top..... dark with no white strips most of the time. I think these are all blues.

This is what I THINK are Splash and a black. That one splash is REALLY REALLY ODD right? I am going to keep her.... if she is a her LOL

Last edited:
 are you 100% sure the one with the lacing on the saddle is a he?  both of my boys have solid feathers and at 8 weeks I still wasnt certain on boys/girls yet... do you have pictures? (we love pictures!! ;)  )

He has lots of pink comb and wattles. The feathers on his back are coming in very shiny and pointed like saddle feathers. It looks like a cockerel to me.. Here's a few photos..

Back
Top Bottom