Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

OK experts.... I have been hatching super dark chicks. But my last hatch they looked a little different. Not bad but different. they have more of the chipmunk striping than I have been seeing. Any opinions? My guess is a new layer but everyone is REALLY DARK in that pen. Most of my chicks look like the one on the top..... dark with no white strips most of the time. I think these are all blues. This is what I THINK are Splash and a black. That one splash is REALLY REALLY ODD right? I am going to keep her.... if she is a her LOL
Your splash is somewhat lighter than mine was.

OK experts.... I have been hatching super dark chicks. But my last hatch they looked a little different. Not bad but different. they have more of the chipmunk striping than I have been seeing. Any opinions? My guess is a new layer but everyone is REALLY DARK in that pen.

Most of my chicks look like the one on the top..... dark with no white strips most of the time. I think these are all blues.

This is what I THINK are Splash and a black. That one splash is REALLY REALLY ODD right? I am going to keep her.... if she is a her LOL

OK experts.... I have been hatching super dark chicks. But my last hatch they looked a little different. Not bad but different. they have more of the chipmunk striping than I have been seeing. Any opinions? My guess is a new layer but everyone is REALLY DARK in that pen.

Most of my chicks look like the one on the top..... dark with no white strips most of the time. I think these are all blues.

This is what I THINK are Splash and a black. That one splash is REALLY REALLY ODD right? I am going to keep her.... if she is a her LOL

My splashes looked like that on day 1. Here's a picture of 4 of them about a week or two ago.

This one came out darker than I expected.

This was at the 1 week mark.

Last edited:
The odd splash is going to be used in the Blue Laced Silver Project. The less red for that project the better right????? I know she will be too light for my BLRW pens. I don't breed the rusty colored birds, just the dark ones.

Thanks!

Hiya guys, I would like your opinions on a few things! I'll number 'em

ONE...This bird was most definitely a splash when she was a baby, everyone on here agreed on that. Why is she getting a light blue color, is that normal with splashes?

TWO...
What color are these two chicks? Blue, or black?

And THREE...what color is this chick? Blue, black, or splash?

Thanks everyone!! :)

1) well she looks splash to me...or light blue I guess. the Blue you want in a BLRW is slate blue to be called a blue. the blue/black/splash breeding is like diluting black with white. so depending on how light the parents were, you can get lighter and lighter chicks over many generations of breeding back to light parents if that makes sense
SPLASH is actually white with dots of black throughout placed randomly on feathers. I will try to take a picture of it on my chicks soon :)

2) I think these are both blue! the back stripe looks reddish and the barring on the wings has a grey tint not solid black. watch for the feathers around their butt/legs, they should come in blue and then you'll know

3) splash

cute chicks btw!
love.gif

Hiya guys, I would like your opinions on a few things! I'll number 'em ONE...This bird was most definitely a splash when she was a baby, everyone on here agreed on that. Why is she getting a light blue color, is that normal with splashes? TWO... What color are these two chicks? Blue, or black? And THREE...what color is this chick? Blue, black, or splash? Thanks everyone!! :)
My guesses, and that's exactly what they are... are splash, both black and blue. They're adorable! I can't wait for mine to hatch!

Thanks! I'm really hoping those two are blues, and hoping that at least one is a girl...How can you tell the difference between blue & black in chicks? They look the same to me.

Back
Top Bottom