Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

another pic of my 10 week old BLRW'S

Have any of you run into issues with BLRW having single combs?
I went to purchase some today. Was misinformed they were direct Foley stock. And upon meet up, 6 of 16 chicks had single combs. The gal was on her way to visit her mother. So gave them to me free. I will quarantine and resell with honesty. She is absolutely sure they were pure.
I also had a rooster throw 50% single comb chicks this spring. He and his chicks have been removed from my program.
I am just curious if others have run into this.

I went to purchase some today. Was misinformed they were direct Foley stock. And upon meet up, 6 of 16 chicks had single combs. The gal was on her way to visit her mother. So gave them to me free. I will quarantine and resell with honesty. She is absolutely sure they were pure.
I also had a rooster throw 50% single comb chicks this spring. He and his chicks have been removed from my program.
I am having the same frustrating problem. I hatched 13 BLRWs from several breeders last year & never got one with a single comb. I culled down to 3 roosters & 6 hens but now that I am breeding them together I am getting about 25% single combs. I am now trying to narrow down the culprits to be removed.

don't blame just the rooster... the hens have to be split too for single to show up. it's a recessive trait. if both hen and roo are heterozygous for rose combs, then you've got only a 25% chance that you'll get single combs and a 50% chance that they'll pass along that heterozygous trait but still show rose combs.

I would personally, test breed each hen with a single comb rooster, any who produce single combs would be gone.

She probably told you the truth. I got birds from his breeding pens and still hatched straight combs every once in a blue moon. I think I culled the hen causing the issue to pop up more and it stopped.

I have only one hen thT I kept to breed. I did not feel the others had good enough type. I bred her to three boys. And only one threw the single comb with her.
Does she also carry that gene? I do not quite understand the genetics. And want to be sure to breed good stock.

She probably told you the truth.  I got birds from his breeding pens and still hatched straight combs every once in a blue moon.  I think I culled the hen causing the issue to pop up more and it stopped. 

Thanks. I was worried maybe even bought hatchery stock! Lol
Her pics looked pretty good. And she is flock tested. I thought that might have shown a little responsibility. She only had one bird in the pics I did not like. But I am not too hot at choosing! This fall will be our first time showing them to get a good idea where we are. And it will be just 4-h for now. But I have found the judges to be knowledgeable. And willing to answer questions.

I have only one hen thT I kept to breed. I did not feel the others had good enough type. I bred her to three boys. And only one threw the single comb with her.
Does she also carry that gene? I do not quite understand the genetics. And want to be sure to breed good stock.

Yes. Single combs are recessive and both parents have to carry it to express. My $100 roo carries it but at $100 he is not going anywhere LOL

Back
Top Bottom