Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Have any of you run into issues with BLRW having single combs?
I went to purchase some today. Was misinformed they were direct Foley stock. And upon meet up, 6 of 16 chicks had single combs. The gal was on her way to visit her mother. So gave them to me free. I will quarantine and resell with honesty. She is absolutely sure they were pure.
I also had a rooster throw 50% single comb chicks this spring. He and his chicks have been removed from my program.
I am just curious if others have run into this.
None of mine from you have thrown this so far. I know I've heard of it before but if she's throwing that many straight combs I'd say she has bad lines! I'm sorry about your somewhat wasted trip.

a splash would be much lighter IMO... I would call that a light blue. but the red isn't dark enough IMO... more like a blue laced gold so far. this is a splash laced hen.
@JackieandChicks I have some splashes that are darker like that. Their parents were both splashes as white as the above pic but they came out a very nice blue.

Last edited:
Thanks clark.
It is ok. I enjoy growing them out. I like to see how much they change. I am learning a lot. Like what thingfs to look for. Even In chicks.
I have gotten much worse when paying much more for purebreeds :)
I am just curious to know how common it is.

Quote: Bad lines might be extreme ..... Her roo is carrying recessive straight comb genes and so do a good bit of her hens/pullets. Most wyandottes with show lines will throw straight combs. Lots of people will keep them in their flocks to keep fertility high.... you just have to cull for it. you could test mate and remove all the offending birds but you might find your fertility will drop. I just cull them and sell them as layers.

Bad lines might be extreme .....  Her roo is carrying recessive straight comb genes and so do a good bit of her hens/pullets.  Most wyandottes with show lines will throw straight combs.   Lots of people will keep them in their flocks to keep fertility high.... you just have to cull for it.  you could test mate and remove all the offending birds but you might find your fertility will drop.  I just cull them and sell them as layers. 

I did just google. And found very little on the subject. But I did also read that it ups fertility! And I must say, I did get a lot of chicks from my one hen this spring. She has been broody three times. And will not give up. I habe eggs due this weekend. And will give her a few :)

well, cross fingers for me...

I went to move eggs to lockdown night before last, and my incubators had gotten unplugged! not sure how long they were, but the eggs were all cold. got them running again, yesterday morning I saw movement in several eggs, and so far this morning, most of the coturnix have popped out.

I have 6 of Donna's blrw eggs due to hatch later today or tomorrow (I normally set them late at night, plus the cooling may have set that back)...

since losing my job, I've sold off all of my adult blrw except my girl I posted above, so these chicks and the 3 that were shipped from Donna will constitute next years' breeding flock.

I went to move eggs to lockdown night before last, and my incubators had gotten unplugged! not sure how long they were, but the eggs were all cold. got them running again, yesterday morning I saw movement in several eggs, and so far this morning, most of the coturnix have popped out.

I have 6 of Donna's blrw eggs due to hatch later today or tomorrow (I normally set them late at night, plus the cooling may have set that back)...

since losing my job, I've sold off all of my adult blrw except my girl I posted above, so these chicks and the 3 that were shipped from Donna will constitute next years' breeding flock.

Sending you good hatching vibes. You deserve better luck. :)

If you need more down the road let me know.

Back
Top Bottom