Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I'd love some opinions about color on these baby Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. My Partridge Chantecler hatched 6 eggs: 3 CLB and 3 BLRW. You will see the Legbars here and there in these photos, but I am curious as to whether you think the BLRW's will be dark or light; blue, splash, or white? Do they look like pure BLRW? or a mix? they are supposed to be pure. Top photo is hatch day, the rest are from yesterday - birds are now 2 weeks 5 days old.

here are some of my BLR chicks. I am just curious if they should be showing more blue on the undersides at this time. What do you think? are they all going to be blacks?

Ok... Here is what I see:

BLUE

dark blue I think.

BLUE

DARK BLUE
Even though they look dark, they aren't actually black. I am looking at the feathers around their butts and tails; if those are not TRUE TRUE BLACK then they are not blacks. you need good lighting or sunlight to see this in photos.

The last chick who does look quite dark, still is not black.... see the grey in his leg fluff? that is not black!

Here is a Blue next to a Black and a Splash

you can see the blue is quite dark, but still grey. the black is really dark, and shines green in the sun..

Last edited:
that sounds more like what I had expected! I guess they will show more blue as they molt and mature? They are only 4 weeks old this week, so maybe the colors will become more pronounced as they age.

that sounds more like what I had expected! I guess they will show more blue as they molt and mature? They are only 4 weeks old this week, so maybe the colors will become more pronounced as they age.
yes, they won't look "laced" until about 10-12 weeks I think. and even then, the lacing gets better and better as they mature! they just look very... odd at this feather stage. Look at them in bright light, and look at the leg/butt/tail fluff to be sure

I'd love some opinions about color on these baby Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. My Partridge Chantecler hatched 6 eggs: 3 CLB and 3 BLRW. You will see the Legbars here and there in these photos, but I am curious as to whether you think the BLRW's will be dark or light; blue, splash, or white? Do they look like pure BLRW? or a mix? they are supposed to be pure. Top photo is hatch day, the rest are from yesterday - birds are now 2 weeks 5 days old.
So precious! That is a beautiful partridge as well. I love broody and chick photos
love.gif

from the red stripe on their back, they all look like Blues to me? this can vary from line to line though... depending on their heritage... they do not look dark enough to be black imho, often the back is black or at least not that light red. I don't see any splashes there either... please post more photos as they grow up!

actually... is this one black?

the tail looks dark.. just not enough feathers to tell yet
wink.png

edit: no I think it's blue. LOL

Last edited:
here is a not-great photo of my chicks at 2 weeks old.
the one in the foreground is black, see it's black back?
I labeled the splash, and the Blue as well. the blue is more red like yours.

in the background I think you see all blues and splashes, but I cannot see their legbands to be sure of what they grew up into.

Hi! I'm new to chickens and wyandottes but I'm loving them and thought I would share some pics. 5 month old pullet

5 month old pullet

2 1/2yr hen

4 month old roo

4 month old roo

3 yr hen

3 wk olds I hatched

Oops, I hit the submit button on the touchscreen by mistake before I finished the post. This is my black BLRW. His hackles aren't actually gold like that but the flash made the color come out weird in the picture. You can see his color best in the top view.

How is he in type and color? He is about 5 months old. I'm hoping to breed him (Boss-Man) to PJ if his color is dark or red enough.

I was hoping to hold out until the October meet up but this guy is disrupting coop life. I'm in the Elsinore area and needing to rehome this BLRW Splash ASAP. He looks pretty as far as roosters go and doesn't look like he has any mix in him. Let me know if you need a rooster for your breeding... Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom